OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Retay/scalarworks  (Read 1807 times)

Offline DBuck90

Retay/scalarworks
« on: March 11, 2022, 04:46:02 PM »
I have a Retay on order but I don’t know if the receivers are identical or close to a benelli
Has anyone put a scalarworks mount on a Retay for a trijicon rmr any help would be appreciated

Offline Bingoman

Re: Retay/scalarworks
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 10:09:06 AM »
How'd this project pan out, did you get the mount put on?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline WVHick

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 06:59:59 PM »
So I think I have a solution...

I was planning on chucking my Retay 20 gauge Turkey into the Bridgeport Mill to drill/tap to Benelli hole spacing and specs. The factory picatinny rail that mine came with was poorly thought out and the machining wasn't great. It also sits way too high. After browsing the CAD drawings for the various mounts on Scalarworks site, the Mossberg mount hole spacing matches the Retay. The Retay, of course, has three holes but the front and back holes share the same 3.126" spacing of the Mossberg. You can't use the Scalarworks "B" screws to further bombproof the mount, but it's plenty secure with two screws. These aren't going into Ukraine for WWIII. You WILL have to source new screws. The Retay is drilled/tapped for M4x0.7 screws instead of the industry standard 8-40 for some reason. Stupid on Retay's part. You can get these at McMaster Carr. I'll include a link.

Link to screws:

https://www.mcmaster.com/91294A188/

I used 8mm length which is as long as you'd want to go. 6mm will work, but not a ton of thread engagement with 6mm
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:14:11 PM by WVHick »

Offline Bingoman

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 12:28:31 AM »
That's badass. I'm gonna try it

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 07:45:45 AM »
Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bingoman

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 09:53:22 AM »
Good info on the screws, I had tested some 6-32 and thought they were the right ones, but I'll double check. Does it look like theres enough material to tap and countersink a 3rd hole in the mount to match the receiver?

Offline WVHick

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 11:14:45 AM »
Ehh, I just don't think it's worth it. It would put the screw underneath the RMR/SRO. Once you get it mounted with two screws you'll realize how solid it is. If I were going to go through the work of drilling and tapping anything, I'd just do the gun and convert it to Benelli specs.

Offline Bingoman

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 10:10:33 PM »
Yewww. I'm liking it

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 12:01:32 AM »
So I think I have a solution...

I was planning on chucking my Retay 20 gauge Turkey into the Bridgeport Mill to drill/tap to Benelli hole spacing and specs. The factory picatinny rail that mine came with was poorly thought out and the machining wasn't great. It also sits way too high. After browsing the CAD drawings for the various mounts on Scalarworks site, the Mossberg mount hole spacing matches the Retay. The Retay, of course, has three holes but the front and back holes share the same 3.126" spacing of the Mossberg. You can't use the Scalarworks "B" screws to further bombproof the mount, but it's plenty secure with two screws. These aren't going into Ukraine for WWIII. You WILL have to source new screws. The Retay is drilled/tapped for M4x0.7 screws instead of the industry standard 8-40 for some reason. Stupid on Retay's part. You can get these at McMaster Carr. I'll include a link.

Link to screws:

https://www.mcmaster.com/91294A188/

I used 8mm length which is as long as you'd want to go. 6mm will work, but not a ton of thread engagement with 6mm
well wish I had not been in such a hurry but I still got my sight mounted just didn’t go with the scalar works and it’s good but I did show some Retay reps what you did and they was very impressed looks awesome man I plan on doing a 3rd custom turkey gun if mossy oak ever releases original treestand to get one dipped in

Offline GuideGun

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 07:42:38 AM »
Those Scalarworks mounts are the best there is, bar none. I have one on my SBE3 and Affinity 3. Awesome, low profile sturdy mounts.
Matt