OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Choke advice size for Mossberg 500  (Read 3028 times)

Offline jmerchant1

Choke advice size for Mossberg 500
« on: March 09, 2022, 10:16:20 PM »
Hey guys,
Just bought a new 20ga Mossberg 500 youth super bantam with a 22” barrel. Mounting a red dot and planning to use Federal TSS #9s for turkey but need some choke advice. I do realize every gun is going to have its own preference, but just looking to see if there is a popular choice from others (especially with the same gun). While I will hunt with it the most, I want a choke with a fairly forgiving pattern in the close ranges in case my wife or son decide to use it. Therefore I’ve kind of ruled out the .555 constrictions and thinking the .562 or .570 would be my best bet for a good pattern at 40 yards but not too tight at say 20. As far as a brand my number one option would be Indian Creek, but open to others like Sumtoy, etc.
So can anyone offer their experience in pattern density and evenness at various ranges with the more open chokes? Anyone seen much difference between the .562 and .570s?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Remturkey

Re: Choke advice size for Mossberg 500
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 11:16:28 PM »
I had the same gun that I set up for my son and it really did well with the Primos Tightwad choke. I think it was either a .565 or .570, not too tight at 20yds but still held a nice killing pattern at 40 with the Federal's

Offline jmerchant1

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 06:57:44 PM »
Update- I ended up trying the .570 Indian Creek choke with the Federal TSS #9s and got a decent hunting pattern at 40 yards. Ill post a pic. I like the evenness of the pattern but think I'd like to see it tighten up a bit more so going to try the .562 model next. I also have some Apex Ninjas to try in both as well.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 12:30:34 AM »
My Mossberg 500 with a 22" barrel preferred the IC .555 vs. the Sumtoy .562, the .562 was good, but the .555 bit tighter.

That was with three loads: 1 3/8oz. TSS 9s, then 1.5oz. 8.5s, then 1.5oz. TSS 8s all in a 2.75 shell.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Extremesolo

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 12:33:44 PM »
I have been in the same boat chasing higher numbers in the past.  It seems like you achieved exactly what you were after with the combo you posted.  You have an excellent pattern from a 20 ga. at 40 yards that is more than sufficient for quick, humane kills and has enough margin for error for some wiggle room.  Tightening the pattern will get you more hits in the 10" at 40 yards but you lose some of the wiggle room you were originally seeking.  I say hunt it like it is and save your shells for turkeys and not the patterning board.

Offline jmerchant1

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 04:58:31 PM »
I have been in the same boat chasing higher numbers in the past.  It seems like you achieved exactly what you were after with the combo you posted.  You have an excellent pattern from a 20 ga. at 40 yards that is more than sufficient for quick, humane kills and has enough margin for error for some wiggle room.  Tightening the pattern will get you more hits in the 10" at 40 yards but you lose some of the wiggle room you were originally seeking.  I say hunt it like it is and save your shells for turkeys and not the patterning board.

I totally agree with you. I am going to try the .562 constriction just for fun of it. Regardless, I will probably hang onto the .570 for the forgiveness factor of not missing at closer ranges like you mentioned.

Offline Matt / PA

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 06:25:44 PM »
The choke I settled on for my wife's Mossberg bantam might surprise you....an $18 HS ported Undertaker .582
It throws unbelievably even forgiving patterns.
Consistently 260 in 10" at 40yds with another 240 in the 20".

Perfect for a twitchy bird up close but nothing is going to skirt her either..... It will still dump that 50yrd field bird if needed.
It's been an absolute killing machine.
I should mention though that those numbers are with 1 5/8oz #9 handloads....not the Federals.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 06:54:51 PM by Matt / PA »