OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Happy's pre-season prep thread  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Happy's pre-season prep thread
« on: March 09, 2022, 06:09:00 PM »
So I figured since many of us have a bit till season cracks off that we might teach these other teams a thing or two about how champions prepare. Team members can add their routines on here as well. I think this will go a long ways towards showing what it really takes to perform at this level.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Happy's pre-season prep thread
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 06:19:33 PM »
So here we go. Still have about 5 weeks to go here but I am starting to get a mental  list going in order to be at my absolute best. Mental lists are way better than actually writing things down cause they are way easier to loose. You want maximum excitement and confusion the day before the opener to make sure your heart and mental endurance can stand the strain.
So far here is what I have done.
 • sewn up the huge holes in the crotch in two pairs of hunting pants. (This makes for much better photos and keeps uniformed people from showing up at your house).
• Made sure I still had at least one of my shotguns and that it appears to be in functioning condition. I don't recommend waiting till the day before season for this one as may be a bit much for the heart and mind test mentioned above.
• Made sure that I had at least 2 shotgun shells. One will be used for patterning and the other will be used if I happen to actually get the opportunity to shoot a turkey.
Well thats were I am at with pre-season prep. Will update as I get more checked off of my mental list.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 07:32:05 PM »
Stocking up

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 09:11:06 PM »
Happy, pro tip

if you would buy that camo underwear you could skip sewing up the pants,

you could devote that extra spare time into practicing putting more emotion into your facial expressions for upcoming pics

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 09:13:44 PM »
I spend the off seasons getting put back together again.  It takes its toll on the body toting out so many turkeys in a season. 

And a little preseason iron man competition

Always trying out new items such as calls, gobbler seeking glasses, the string and the key to success here.

Also spend time cutting last seasons spurs off and adding them to my spur necklace

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 09:25:40 PM by guesswho »
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 09:15:53 PM »
At least you had a direct line to your cooler

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 10:01:10 PM »
I'm sitting in the recliner eatin' Cheetos and alternating between watching turkey huntin' on YouTube and reading state turkey-huntin' FaceBook pages so I know where to go....  ;D
...And oh yeah, reading OG looking for the newbies that wanna tell everybody where they hunt (not that I would go there, of course)   :angel9:

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 08:38:03 AM »
Happy, pro tip

if you would buy that camo underwear you could skip sewing up the pants,

you could devote that extra spare time into practicing putting more emotion into your facial expressions for upcoming pics
I will work on that crow. I am just cautious about being too good looking for my pictures. And reflex I can appreciate the snacks but my go-too for an energy boost during turkey season is a red bull and some jellybeans.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 06:40:46 PM »
Guesswho and reflex hit on a very key point. Being in fit physical condition is paramount to working your way up to GOAT status. I mean when you are really good at getting up close and personal with critters it sometimes turns into hand to hand combat. Y'all have already read reflexes details of battling a turkey with his bare hands but do ya'll know Guesswho done put the ultimate chokehold on a wild hog? Its document somewhere here on OG.  Anyways I ain't doing much today except for excersizing and starting to gather my hunting clothes into a big pile to see what I am gonna use this year. When your in as good of shape as I am your hunting clothes from 20 years ago still fit so I have lots of options. Anyways I will talk on the benefits of being fit and also getting the necessary brownie points from the Mrs. to help obtain plenty of hunting time. Being a GOAT takes a lot of work, attention to detail, good looks and and a little luck.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 07:07:27 PM »
Yes sir, fact.   Rear naked choke on a wild hog, I’ll leave out the other part. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 01:38:16 PM »
My order of permethrin10 just showed up in the mail. Some people suggest cutting it down to 1-2%. I just leave it at the 10% cuz I'm a GOAT.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 07:09:54 PM »
So back to physical fitness and keeping the Mrs happy. Those two things aren't too far apart. As my wife says" nothing makes me want to throw up like seeing a dude in a wife beater that looks like he is smuggling a volleyball". So if you stay in shape not only will you hunt better but your love life will be better. Anyways get your brownie points all year long. I am talking laundry, dishes,cooking meals and going to family functions. This buys you points and you need to stockpile as many as possible. I personally have stockpiled so many that I just have to say I am going hunting these days and the missus encourages it. She even buys me more hunting stuff. That is GOAT status.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 12:53:51 AM »
Also got a fresh haircut today. Mullet is high and tight. Barber took what he thought was the right amount off. At first I was a skeptic after loosing almost 3 inches but now I'm starting to see some serious benefits from fitting the mop under a face mask, easy of locating ticks, and being more streamline.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 07:39:56 AM »
. A good mullet makes a statement. I have a friend who lost one eye who is currently rocking one along with a beard. We nicknamed him cyclops, mullet von beardington.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 09:18:23 AM »
So back to physical fitness and keeping the Mrs happy. Those two things aren't too far apart. As my wife says" nothing makes me want to throw up like seeing a dude in a wife beater that looks like he is smuggling a volleyball". So if you stay in shape not only will you hunt better but your love life will be better. Anyways get your brownie points all year long. I am talking laundry, dishes,cooking meals and going to family functions. This buys you points and you need to stockpile as many as possible. I personally have stockpiled so many that I just have to say I am going hunting these days and the missus encourages it. She even buys me more hunting stuff. That is GOAT status.
Those are both excellent pieces of advice in order to stay "Happy".

I've gotten in the habit of insisting my wife takes "for her" trips every year and I always try line them up for about a month before turkey season. 4 days in Texas visiting a friend, girls trip to Florida, she just got back from 8 days in Florida. When she gets home I have the entire place cleaned top to bottom, laundry done, kids homework is current as a symbol of my appreciation for the selfish that ensues during hunting season on my part.

Exercise is easier one  for me because well I enjoy it,. I have 400sq ft of gym space at home and the wife and I both use it almost daily. I'm there right now doing with her for a before church session. Id say 30% is wanting to have fitness specifically for hunting 30% I want to be able to keep up with my kids as they grow and play sports 30% I just enjoy it and 10% I like food and beer enough I need it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>