OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you have a standard approach in the morning?  (Read 829 times)

Online FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Do you have a standard approach in the morning?
« on: March 09, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »
What are your usual steps that you take in the morning when turkey hunting?

Did you always roost one the night before and head to that one only at daylight? Do you slip into an area that typically holds birds and wait for them to gobble on their own? Do you try to induce a shock gobble on the limb? Do you cruise roads and trails to cover areas? Do you sit silently and let the birds wake up on their own? Do you sleep in and hit the woods at 10:00 am?

While each one of these tactics has merit, most hunters have a default game plan in place when they leave the truck that is open to immediate revision as events in the morning progress.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
Re: Do you have a standard approach in the morning?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 01:20:14 PM »
I hunt roosted birds usually. I find them, make a plan, get in the woods way too early and let them wake up. After that, every situation is fluid. If we strike out off the roost, we usually run and gun.( with us its closer to "amble and ramble). I am usually an aggressive caller once they hit the ground. On the roost I just want them to know I am there. When they are coming, I let them dictate the dance until I feel I am losing them. Close calling is soft yelps and purrs. Inside of 75 yards I am generally using my mouth call exclusively if i am a shooter. Calling for someone else is a different story. I am a solitary hunter or one partner generally. My success rate alone is the highest, with my buddy Joe is very good. Me and the wife are getting better, but less successful. The kid is a blind only hunter, success rate is high in that situation. I have fun and learn on every hunt, some more than others, lol. Good luck and God Bless. Al Baker

Offline Kygobblergetter

Re: Do you have a standard approach in the morning?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 03:08:05 PM »
I rarely have roosted birds to hunt. Maybe sometimes around home but even then not super often. I usually get to a spot that I can hear and owl hoot and then try to close the distance once a bird gobbles. That is pretty much my standard approach but I do love slipping in tight and setting up early when I have one roosted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk