OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What's up everybody  (Read 1401 times)

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
What's up everybody
« on: March 08, 2022, 07:09:33 PM »
With the season right around the corner, and the team back together again, what's everyone got going on?  Any preseason scouting, new guns, new gear, new calls, travel plans, etc.?

ZSully and I went to Unicoi, that was a blast, and an expensive trip, lol.  Then my wife and I went to Nashville, also a blast and also expensive.  Both were first time experiences for me and both are trips I hope I can do again.

Planning on getting out several cell cams this week to watch over some fields.  All of my spots are around an hour away in all different directions, so I can't scout them very easily.

Our season here in VA starts April 9th.  ZSully is coming down here to hunt for a few days, and I'll be going up to PA to hunt with him and A_Jabbo, which is always the highlight of my season.

My 8yr old daughter wants to go this year too, so I set up a 410 for her and hopefully can put her on a bird. 

Otherwise just making calls, counting the minutes, and buying all sorts of unnecessary mess just like every year before turkey season, lol.

What's everyone else got going on?   Can the new guys introduce yourselves?

Offline Mossyguy

Re: What's up everybody
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 07:16:58 PM »
I know where a total of 7 birds on two properties are…been watching them for the last month. Our youth season here in MS started today and my “youth” is 22 so hopefully they will make it to the opener on the 15th.

Unfortunately  I won’t be able to make the morning opener as I got a reminder of a VA appointment that day that I cannot miss…so needless to say I’m not happy. I will be able to go that first evening though…birds have been coming in morning and evening in both spots so we’ll see what happens.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 07:41:54 PM »
I’ll be doing the .410 thing this year with the thumbhole version of the Stevens 301.  I’ll be using some yelpers this year for the first time.  Have a free trip to hunt in SC on their opening week.  Other than that I’m seeing plenty of turkeys and looking forward to hunting again. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 08:27:13 PM »
Season will open for me in MS next Tuesday. Cameras are starting to show a few birds in the past few days but a cold snap coming through this week may set them back some. My AL properties are showing more regular numbers but I can’t hunt there till April 1st. Gonna use my old 20 gauge but have a new .410 I want to break in sometime this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zsully

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 09:12:45 PM »
The birds are still in big winter flocks up here in Pa. I’ve been seeing a decent number of birds in a couple spots but the vast majority of our spots don’t have the birds just yet. I’m planning on hunting Va and Pa this year but A_jabbo and I just got an invite for 4 days in Ohio in mid May. As long as I can work around my boys baseball I’m going to try and swing it. I’ve been spending a bunch of time learning to run an EZ wingbone and man am I really starting to like this call. I’m hoping I can put down the old pot and peg and use the wingbone this year.  Aside from that I’ll be making it a big priority to get my oldest boy his second turkey and take my youngest out so he can tag along a time or two. I hope you boys down south can let us northern folks live vicariously through you until the season comes in up here. This always seems like these couple months take forever.

Online Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 10:31:40 PM »
I'll be starting next Tuesday here at home in Mississippi. I've got high expectations. I heard 11 different birds in three separate groups a few mornings ago.

This is my last year in school before I start work in June, so I've got quite a few trips planned to try and make the most out of my last work-free turkey season. I'm going to Texas the second weekend of April, then Kentucky, Illinois, and Iowa the last 2 weeks. Going to Washington, Idaho, and Oregon the second and third week of May.

I got a new Mero Trumpet for Christmas that I'm itching to try out, and a tube call that might be the loudest call I've ever heard. I can't wait for the season to start. I'm making a point this year to slow down and enjoy every second I get to be outside.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 06:38:57 AM »
Just started my scouting in NJ. Scratches in my honey holes. Hitting NY next week, gonna warm up. Snowing there today, 3-5 inches. My NJ season opens 4-25, NY on 5-1. I will scout heavily now that it’s warming up. Patterned my Guns last week, all dialed in. Several early wake-ups between now and opening day will reveal the locations of my feathered friends, then I plan my assault. It was tough last year here, I had to really work for my birds. I plan on hunting everyday , I enjoy chasing these guys. Hoping to help out my team. Be safe, good luck to all. We will have some fun…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 05:55:32 PM »
6 weeks to wait, here.

The birds at the house (take my coffee cup and open the sunroom slider) have been gittin' it, off and on, for about 3 weeks if the morning is fit.  Went listening at the family property last Saturday morning and heard ZILCH.  Not too worried.  I notched my fall bird out of a flock of 13 longbeards, so............   There will be one or two around to play with.

Not going anywhere but home this year.  Gonna try again to get my son out on youth day for a crack at his first.  He has Down syndrome and it's a process.  He's intermittently apprehensive about shooting the .410.  We'll see how it goes this year.  I did take the big 30mm red dot off of it and put a FF3 on.  Makes it a MUCH nicer package.

I have a totally off-the-wall notion I'm hoping to try this spring.  A new (old) gun.  Not even gonna let THAT cat outta the bag unless it works.  It's THAT daffy.............   :goofball:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 08:07:38 PM »
6 weeks to wait, here.

The birds at the house (take my coffee cup and open the sunroom slider) have been gittin' it, off and on, for about 3 weeks if the morning is fit.  Went listening at the family property last Saturday morning and heard ZILCH.  Not too worried.  I notched my fall bird out of a flock of 13 longbeards, so............   There will be one or two around to play with.

Not going anywhere but home this year.  Gonna try again to get my son out on youth day for a crack at his first.  He has Down syndrome and it's a process.  He's intermittently apprehensive about shooting the .410.  We'll see how it goes this year.  I did take the big 30mm red dot off of it and put a FF3 on.  Makes it a MUCH nicer package.

I have a totally off-the-wall notion I'm hoping to try this spring.  A new (old) gun.  Not even gonna let THAT cat outta the bag unless it works.  It's THAT daffy.............   :goofball:

I wish you tremendous luck with your son. That’s what it’s all about, sharing this passion with your loved ones…Amen…
“Solo hunter”

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 08:28:26 PM »
6 weeks to wait, here.

I wish you tremendous luck with your son. That’s what it’s all about, sharing this passion with your loved ones…Amen…

Thanks, man !!

It's definitely been a process..................  A labor of love and patience.  He's a pretty high-functioning kid.  But he just doesn't process some things like everyone else.  He CAN shoot when he puts his mind to it, though.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.