OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Stevens 301 and Apex Ninja  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Gmed

Stevens 301 and Apex Ninja
« on: March 06, 2022, 04:12:42 PM »
.565 and .570 Jebs. .570 it is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 07:55:39 AM by Gmed »

Offline BandedSpur

Re: Stevens 301 and Apex Ninja
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 07:42:54 AM »
I agree with you that the .570 is definitely a better pattern than the .565. Have you tried 9s? Be nice to keep your 10" numbers and fill out the 10-20 a little more.

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 01:27:38 PM »
I agree with you that the .570 is definitely a better pattern than the .565. Have you tried 9s? Be nice to keep your 10" numbers and fill out the 10-20 a little more.

I think that is a very solid hunting pattern. I fully agree with banded, the more open choke is a better pattern. And he is right, a few more in the 20 inch circle would be the "perfect world scenario", as I tend to think the same on that outer ring - but in all honesty I could take your .570 pattern and kill every turkey I shoot from here on out and kill him dead if I do my part.

I have seen many plenty worse patterns than what your .570 is shooting, and those guns are also killing every bird they shoot. I don't know if a lot of folks are like I am, as I catch myself at times still having a lead shot mentality where we likely needed at least 6-8 pellets in the kill with 6's , etc. to drop him stone dead, and yet I forget that it only takes a pellet or two of the heavier density TSS (at reasonable ranges) to kill a turkey. In other words, your .570 pattern (with AT WORST well over  dozen in the brain and spine every shot) is stoning every turkey you shoot at inside of 50 yards or maybe even slightly further. I would not waste another couple of hundred on chokes and just go with that current set up and wear em out. Your gun setup is in great shape. 
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »
good looking patterns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase