OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Binoculars for Turkey Hunting.  (Read 6280 times)

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
Binoculars for Turkey Hunting.
« on: March 04, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »
I have been searching for some time for a pair of binoculars for turkey and squirrel hunting.  I wanted them light, small, unobtrusive, with good glass and 7 to 8X. I was at a LGS today and found them.  They are vintage and used but just the ticket IMO.  Made in the 1990's, Leupold Gold Ring Compact( Green Armored) 7 x 20mm. They were made for Leupold by Leica in their factory in Portugal.  Crystal clear!  Amazing optics considering their small size and age.  I bought them!! They will be around my neck or in my vest this spring.  Anybody else care to disclose your favorite binoculars for turkey hunting? 
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Binoculars for Turkey Hunting.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 06:45:48 PM »
I carry Vortex 10 x 28 compact ...

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 07:18:21 PM »
I have an original pair of Swarovski 10x25 compact pocket Binos. Fantastic, light. Best pair I own….
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:27:34 PM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline Remturkey

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 01:02:20 AM »
Zeiss Terra 10x28 compacts.  Nice find on the vintage Leupolds btw, the new Leupy's definitely leave a lot to be desired compared to the old ones.

Offline jmart241

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 01:42:16 PM »
I use 8x30 Swarovski work great

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 03:28:07 PM »
For around $200 the Maven 7x28 are exactly that, I got mine for 180 and I haven't come across anything in that price range to be nearly as good in that small lightweight package. Good enough I'll carry them over my $650 glass for the compact size on about 90% of spring hunts.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 07:00:42 PM »
I have some Swarovski 10x30 SLC, found them at a GREAT price and couldn't pass them up! I would have bought an 8x32 EL by choice otherwise.

MK M GOBL

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 08:31:42 AM »
Kowa 6x30

https://www.amazon.com/Kowa-YF-II-6x30-Binocular/dp/B08C7YKXDD

Offline Cruiser

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 10:10:05 AM »
I wear Pentax DCF SP 8x32 on a binoculars harness; no reaching in pocket

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 01:49:12 PM »
 Seems to be a common theme here and it is just what I thought it would be.  Turkey hunters to include myself like to carry quality binoculars but want them light and small.  IMO compacts and pocket size are perfect.  I do not like to be weighted down with anything unnecessary.  Running and gunning I will take lighter weight every time.  Good luck to you fellows this spring and thanks for your input.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 02:10:47 PM »
Using small compact 12x25 Cabela's intensity, great glass for the money...

Offline J-Shaped

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 09:48:43 PM »
Kowa 6.5x32 BD Wide Angle. Was looking to get away from carrying a big pair of 10x42s that were too much in the woods and these have fit the bill perfectly the last couple of seasons. So much so, I rarely use my 10x42s for deer hunting anymore.

https://www.kowaoptic.com/kowa-bdii32-6-5xd-binocular-6-5x32-wide-angle

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 11:44:46 AM »
Kowa 6.5x32 BD Wide Angle. Was looking to get away from carrying a big pair of 10x42s that were too much in the woods and these have fit the bill perfectly the last couple of seasons. So much so, I rarely use my 10x42s for deer hunting anymore.

https://www.kowaoptic.com/kowa-bdii32-6-5xd-binocular-6-5x32-wide-angle
Too many people focus on magnification and not clarity, color, field of view, and brightness. Should be alot more 6-7 power binos on the market when talking about eastern hunting very few need 8 let alone 10x.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 07:22:13 PM »
I have been searching for some time for a pair of binoculars for turkey and squirrel hunting.  I wanted them light, small, unobtrusive, with good glass and 7 to 8X. I was at a LGS today and found them.  They are vintage and used but just the ticket IMO.  Made in the 1990's, Leupold Gold Ring Compact( Green Armored) 7 x 20mm. They were made for Leupold by Leica in their factory in Portugal.  Crystal clear!  Amazing optics considering their small size and age.  I bought them!! They will be around my neck or in my vest this spring.  Anybody else care to disclose your favorite binoculars for turkey hunting?

I have a vintage pair of made in Japan Leupold Wind River 10x42's bino's and have bought them around 1994 and have used them more than ANY other piece of hunting equipment I own. I will not even entetain going hunting or scouting without them.

Got a GREAT deal on two pair of made in Japan Pentax DCF WP one in 8x40 and one in 10x42 glass and eye cups are better than my LWR glass not by a great degree, but the eye cups are awesome.

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 12:45:38 AM »
Seems to be a common theme here and it is just what I thought it would be.  Turkey hunters to include myself like to carry quality binoculars but want them light and small.  IMO compacts and pocket size are perfect.  I do not like to be weighted down with anything unnecessary.  Running and gunning I will take lighter weight every time.  Good luck to you fellows this spring and thanks for your input.

For what it's worth... my Vortex rangefinder has 6X magnification that I've found to do a fine job when needing to look closer at something. And since I like to range when I set up it's a great double duty item that helps keep 'stuff' to a minimum, which is important to me as a run-and-gunner out West.