OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scoring and Pictures Discussion  (Read 5177 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Scoring and Pictures Discussion
« on: March 03, 2022, 04:41:43 PM »
Thought I would throw in a thread for any needed discussion about the scoring and picture requirements for the contest (along the same lines as reflexl's "tips for the contest" thread).  I am assuming everybody on the team is familiar with the contest requirements and what we each need to do to document our birds, but if anybody is not and we need to clarify anything, we can discuss it here. 

Note: Yes, I am aware that the requirements for documenting our birds are a PIA, but it is what it is.  We are also aware that some of our team members may not wish to go through the motions to meet those requirements.  That is cool and all is good.  We are all in this to have a good time regardless. However, anybody taking that position is hereby required to talk additional smack to the other teams to make up for it, though!   ;D

If we were to have a full contingent of nine team members harvesting and documenting a bird or two, that would be good, but if we don't, it's not the end of the world,...and we will still be THE GOATS!!!   :you_rock: 

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Scoring and Pictures Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 06:34:26 PM »
I promise, that if I somehow through a strange twist of fate is should kill a gobbler that I will do the following.
: Submit a picture of the beard being measured with both end of the tape visible and no chunks missing in the middle.
: Submit a picture of each spur being measured without starting from the front of the leg.
: Submit a picture of the turkey on the scale without 3 pounds of tss shoved inside of it.
: Submit a picture a myself with said turkey and the final score.(I am extremely good looking so that part is easy).
So there Jim. I am about a 50% chance of being able to add 1 turkey towards our goal of 9. It will be a legit one though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 08:35:32 AM »
The only score that matters is our own. With that said I will do the dance. Just go ahead put guesswho down for an 89.273 , that sound ok Ronnie?

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 11:21:56 AM »
I think you shorted me a beard or two.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 11:38:22 AM »
I think we're only allowed to score the one longest beard, but if I add the other beards that brings you to 104.575, is that better.

My home farm always produces a lot of double beards. I have killed probably 15 multiple bearded birds. So we got this partner.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 05:43:22 PM »
Nice :icon_thumright:   About five or six years ago I had a streak going.   Four multi-beards in a row.  A double, a triple and two four bearded birds.  The odd thing was those four birds came from three different locations.   Two in Georgia but they were within about five miles of each other.  The two Bama birds were 170 miles away from the Georgia birds and were separated by about 50 miles between them.   I have one spot that about one out of four has multiple beards.   Crazy place.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
GOATS score sheet
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 02:14:46 PM »
I made myself a score sheet - here's a link if anyone wants to use it. 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51924434176_d41f8d1692_o_d.png

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51924485436_69e8b2274e_o_d.jpg

If you want to use it and would rather a pdf, just PM me with your email.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 05:36:17 PM by Rapscallion Vermilion »

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 03:23:33 PM »
Good job on the score sheet, Mike!  Again, if anybody does not understand the requirements of the scoring system and documentation, let us know so we can get everybody sorted out.  :icon_thumright:

Offline randy6471

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 07:11:43 PM »
 Can one of you fine gentlemen please tell me how to resize a photo to post it with Tapatalk? I can load them, but anything taken in portrait, looks way oversized. The landscape ones look ok.
I thought that I would add a couple pics to the “Ghost” thread, for practice just in case I happen to stumble upon a road kill that I can use for the contest.

Thanks!

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 07:31:41 PM »
I use this and usually set the pixels at 800x1000. I'm not sure how it woks with tapatalk. I would suggest you Just resize it in a browser and save to a folder or album then post the resized pic. It'll come up showing the pixel size.

https://imageresizer.com/

Steps:
Open image resizer in your browser
click "select image"
go to dimensions and set size (by default if you enter a width of 800 it will set length to 1067 pixels OK)
click resize
download to a file or album
find the pic in new file
Then post that picture in post

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 07:42:42 PM »
Oh I made myself a click and fill scoresheet in word if anyone wants a copy I can email it. I plan on just taking a screenshot of it filled in and posting that. Writing it down and then putting it in OGF calculator is probably easier. I just like tinkering with stuff like that. Once we get birds coming in I might build a spreadsheet on the team

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »
For tapatalk when I pick a photo off of my phone it gives me 3 size choices. I always pick medium.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 09:12:54 AM »
Found one of these yesterday at Cabela’s.  Coulda bought the Merriam’s version, but it only goes to an inch. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 10:21:00 AM »
Good job on the score sheet, Mike!  Again, if anybody does not understand the requirements of the scoring system and documentation, let us know so we can get everybody sorted out.  :icon_thumright:

???
The spur length without starting from the front of the leg.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 09:12:59 PM »
Those spur roots run pretty deep.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff