OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Where and When  (Read 3722 times)

Offline randy6471

Re: Where and When
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2022, 09:19:11 AM »
  Thanks eggshell.

I can use Tapatalk, so if I’m lucky enough to find a 1/2 blind, tone deaf, gobbler with a deathwish, that stands still long enough for me to shoot him, I’ll try that first.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2022, 11:07:56 AM »
Gonna kick off the season in Florida in a couple of weeks. Then home to Pa to wait for the season opener on April 30th. Still trying to put together an out of state hunt in mid April, but it’s not looking good right now. Either way I’ll do my best to contribute a bird to the GOATS scoreboard.
Randy, What area of PA is home?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2022, 12:06:10 PM »
Last 3 seasons I've kicked my season off in western MD on public, I had brief thoughts trying to substitute KY or VA for something new but it's more likely that scheduling won't line up and I will just try and grab a few mornings back in MD to get my pre-May fix.

From there its bouncing back and forth between PA and NY before heading to NH with my father.

I'm in the middle of changing companies so I don't really know just how busy I'll be yet. I'm in cost accounting and was working for a defense contractor and am making a switch to a company in the firearms industry. I'm 95% remote though so there's a little wiggle room for hunting mornings and working as long as I can attain decent enough wifi or cellular signal.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline randy6471

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2022, 01:52:08 PM »
Gonna kick off the season in Florida in a couple of weeks. Then home to Pa to wait for the season opener on April 30th. Still trying to put together an out of state hunt in mid April, but it’s not looking good right now. Either way I’ll do my best to contribute a bird to the GOATS scoreboard.
Randy, What area of PA is home?

Home for me is Northeast Pa.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 10:24:48 AM »
I'll be in the swamps of Florida a week from next Monday.  Then mid April here in West Virginia.
Starting to get my gear together now.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2022, 01:32:53 PM »
Just mailed my slip in for NV so as long as Gobblenut and I can find a bird with enough time before MX, I'll be taking a run up there to try for a turkey for sure now.

SIDE NOTE: If any of you are off-season trout bums with some know with all in the NE my buddy moved to MA and wants to pick up fly fishing. I taught him some while he was here out West but now he's thinking it may become his hobby. Don't worry I'm working on the turkey conversion too. Anyways was curious about good all around rod size for chasing trout up there. In WA I know I would tell ya as a beginner to get a 8'-6"/9' 5wt because we have room to back cast and have some bigger water with good size native rainbows and cutties but up in the NE there dont know if you would want to step down to like a 4 wt or even a 3 wt and maybe a shorter stick?
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 02:58:31 PM »
Just mailed my slip in for NV so as long as Gobblenut and I can find a bird with enough time before MX, I'll be taking a run up there to try for a turkey for sure now.

SIDE NOTE: If any of you are off-season trout bums with some know with all in the NE my buddy moved to MA and wants to pick up fly fishing. I taught him some while he was here out West but now he's thinking it may become his hobby. Don't worry I'm working on the turkey conversion too. Anyways was curious about good all around rod size for chasing trout up there. In WA I know I would tell ya as a beginner to get a 8'-6"/9' 5wt because we have room to back cast and have some bigger water with good size native rainbows and cutties but up in the NE there dont know if you would want to step down to like a 4 wt or even a 3 wt and maybe a shorter stick?

Where in MA?  I grew up in Western MA and have fly fished since I was about 15 and still have a bunch of hard core flyfishing friends there.   An 8' or 8'6" 4 wt would be a good all around start for dry flies there, but somewhat depends on what waters he is most likely to fish.  For me it was the Swift and Westfield branches, Deerfield, and Farmington mostly.  For nymphing I like a longer rod.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2022, 03:14:45 PM »

Where in MA?  I grew up in Western MA and have fly fished since I was about 15 and still have a bunch of hard core flyfishing friends there.   An 8' or 8'6" 4 wt would be a good all around start for dry flies there, but somewhat depends on what waters he is most likely to fish.  For me it was the Swift and Westfield branches, Deerfield, and Farmington mostly.  For nymphing I like a longer rod.
He’s in Hadley so close to Deerfield. Just moved there a couple months ago. Been on the West coast his whole life. I’m sure he’d be open to new friends too… maybe could connect him with one of your old friends…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2022, 06:34:40 PM »
I'm here.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2022, 07:00:45 PM »
 :icon_thumright: looks good

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2022, 08:43:10 PM »
I'm here, or there depending on you perspective
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 05:58:01 AM »
Man this is quiet around here, I am getting antsy waiting to see this train leave the station. I think we're all starting about the same time, so those suckers on other teams who think they're smoking us are in for some anguish very soon.

The timer is counting down for me to hunt. I get to start be serious tomorrow morning with guiding a wheeling Sportsman hunt for the next two days. I won't be carrying a gun, but it counts a whole bunch to me. I really want to see a bird in the dirt for my hunter.

Saturday April 16th is Ky. opener and I am not sure if I will hunt it, but I will be in Ky. April 18,19 &20. Then Ohio opens April 23 and finally Black Hills Mid May.   :fud: :OGani:

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 07:13:10 AM »
I still have a little over a week to go but I am really itchin to hunt. Have plenty of scouting still to do so it will be nice to be in the woods now that the weather is starting to break. I like to keep a low profile the first week or two of season till after the part timers wear themselves out.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 08:31:58 AM »
I have been out before work this week and have' heard a gobble. I have seen it turn completely around in one day before. I pulled out some of my new calls and the Sway Cornelius glass pots are amazing. It doesn't get anymore real turkey than those two.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2022, 11:00:27 AM »
I still have a little over a week to go but I am really itchin to hunt. Have plenty of scouting still to do so it will be nice to be in the woods now that the weather is starting to break. I like to keep a low profile the first week or two of season till after the part timers wear themselves out.

If you hunt with half of the patience you had explaining technology to me you should tag out in 1 and 1/3rd of a day