OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Here We Go!!  (Read 2414 times)

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Here We Go!!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 07:32:16 PM »
I’ve never done this contest before either.  Still don’t know how to measure a snood properly.  Having just moved to Freeport, Maine from Albuquerque, New Mexico this summer, I’ll be starting from scratch in finding places to hunt.  Unlike New Mexico, there is very little public land here, but the other side of that coin is that accessing unposted land for hunting is “presumed permissible”.  Finding turkeys hasn’t been difficult but figuring out how to get to them legally through the patchwork of posted land will be more of a challenge. I’ve been playing around with trial subscriptions of OnX, HuntStand, and Gaia. Glad to be here. Enjoying the major league smack talk.
It's a real eye opener and hard to fathom, coming from PA stepping foot on someone's property is a sure fire way to get arrested, shot at, or at a very minimum cussed out.

Last year was my first time visiting the New England states with that open access policy in   New Hampshire. I hunted a few days with a friend and a few days solo and the thought of just pulling over anywhere that looked good and trying to strike a bird or going after every turkey spotted from the road was a shock factor. The northern part of the state had virtually zero posted signs and never even saw evidence of other hunters, the south zones you had to be a good but more careful about finding a legal place to hunt and I saw a few more guys riding around but it was refreshing to say the least.

The last day I spotted a gobbler chasing 7 Jake's in a pasture I swung around the corner finding a vehicle pull off at a creek bridge. Ended up running into a gobbling bird before I made it to the original spotted targets and it just didn't work he slid in and got the "somethings not right vibe" before I could get my gun on him but as I walked out I saw a guy from the road waving at me. I'm thinking here I go, I have to be doing something wrong this guy is going to chew me out. Nicest man, just wanted to know if I got what I was after and to wish me all the luck in the would. I asked him, "so you own this land and are fine if I just pull over not knowing me from Adam and chase turkeys here?" Legal or not I wouldn't want to violate any landowners' wishes. While I'm sure he doesn't represent everyone in the New England states he looks at me almost taken aback I'd ask "I own the rights to the land, I don't own god's creations that walk on it why would I want to deprive anyone of the ability to pursue them. You aren't doing any harm to property by being here this fine morning"

Naturally I'll be returning to NH this year and plan to try and make VT and MA happen when I have the time. 

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2022, 10:46:06 AM »
Last year was my first time visiting the New England states with that open access policy in   New Hampshire. I hunted a few days with a friend and a few days solo and the thought of just pulling over anywhere that looked good and trying to strike a bird or going after every turkey spotted from the road was a shock factor. The northern part of the state had virtually zero posted signs and never even saw evidence of other hunters, the south zones you had to be a good but more careful about finding a legal place to hunt and I saw a few more guys riding around but it was refreshing to say the least.

The last day I spotted a gobbler chasing 7 Jake's in a pasture I swung around the corner finding a vehicle pull off at a creek bridge. Ended up running into a gobbling bird before I made it to the original spotted targets and it just didn't work he slid in and got the "somethings not right vibe" before I could get my gun on him but as I walked out I saw a guy from the road waving at me. I'm thinking here I go, I have to be doing something wrong this guy is going to chew me out. Nicest man, just wanted to know if I got what I was after and to wish me all the luck in the would. I asked him, "so you own this land and are fine if I just pull over not knowing me from Adam and chase turkeys here?" Legal or not I wouldn't want to violate any landowners' wishes. While I'm sure he doesn't represent everyone in the New England states he looks at me almost taken aback I'd ask "I own the rights to the land, I don't own god's creations that walk on it why would I want to deprive anyone of the ability to pursue them. You aren't doing any harm to property by being here this fine morning"

Wow!  What a great story!  Refreshing to hear that there are still folks like that around!  Makes me want to head up to NH one of these days!  :)

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2022, 01:46:20 PM »
I am now sleeping with Col. Tom Kelly's audio books on the CD player set on continuous replay at night.

It's getting closer and excitement is building,
I turned up the volume On Col Tom's books at night, have gone thru the rotation of them 6 times.

My wife has subconsciously picked up his accent from being exposed, her employees are complaining they can't understand what she's saying.
Makes the dog nervous