OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Any reliable data on maximum effective range of shot sizes?

Started by DMTJAGER, March 02, 2022, 03:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

Was wondering has anyone has ever figured based on kinetic energy what the maximum effective ranges are of the various sizes of lead turkey shot from #4 up till #6 shot copper plated lead shot.

In other words if shooting WLBXR shells at 60 yards if both are traveling roughly the same speed is #5 shot going to out pernitrate out perform #6 shot if both pattern equally well enough to produce a killing pattern at 60 yards.

Ihuntoldschool

Yes.  Many times over.  Test mediums have ranged from everything from foot pounds of energy to penetration depth in ballistic gel, wet newspapers, telephone books, soup cans, tuna cans, loblolly pine trees even.  Oh wait, I just realized your post said reliable.   

The only thing reliable that I can say with regards to your question is Pattern Fails Before Penetration.   

AppalachianHollers

I was wondering the same thing, since Google only yielded less than comprehensive results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briton

I just watched a YouTube video of 45 vs #6 comparison in ballistic gel at 40yds   the other day. Guy did a pretty in depth analysis on it along with a pattern test. Check it out, I'll try and post the link.

https://youtu.be/xsLBenyfmy0

briton

owlhoot

4 shot will out penetrate 5's . And  5 shot will out penetrate 6's.
Better retained velocity and energy.
The you-tube test referred to on this and another thread even show this . The larger heavier shot out penetrates the smaller lighter shot even though the larger shot has a bigger frontal diameter which should impede penetration. It's weight carries it through.
The test was conducted at 40 yards.
The smaller- lighter weight shot pattern will fail to kill before the larger or heavier weight shot pattern will.

Your 5's will work great.