OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870 .410 tss or Mossberg 500 .410 turkey 24" original bottomland  (Read 4190 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
So, I can't seem to purchase anything but Federal tss #9's, and I can't seem to locate an IC .380 anywhere for sale. I would like to purchase at least one other turkey choke to test alongside the stock turkey choke before I shoot any tss from gun.

I have watched every .410 patterning test I can find,but seeing as I am stuck with Federal tss #9 for the time being, I am now on the hunt for a choke,if stock choke patterns better,oh well. So be it.

What are Rem 870  410 tss owners shooting for chokes?  with Federal Tss#9's ?
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
My gun arrived this morning, I took it apart and cleaned barrel really good as It was extremely dirty,I took base off and loctited the screws better with blue loctite and snugged it back down, I have 5 boxes of Fed tss #9 on the way, and I am researching another choke before I shoot and I am going to put a little bushnell rxs 100 on the gun before I shoot it.  My initial thoughts is that the pump is as smooth as any I have ever had out of a box,gun feels good,is light and I hope I can get it shooting with not a lot of headache but we shall see.

I am not sold on the slip on sling, I ordered some black key rings and paracord and plan on making my own quick detach for a normal sling next week, and if that does not suit me. I may get it drilled in stock and install a bolt on swivel stud and a metal slip behind on mag cap for sling attachment.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
I ended up using some black d-loop material I had here from my shop and made some slipknot loops and then attached a little claw sling I had here that came with my cva accura mr-x nitride, and I am all set. I didn't end up using the little black key rings to clip sling on too. I will try and post up some pictures of this setup later tonight or this weekend.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Here is gun setup with a trs-22 red dot,I wrapped it in bottomland and the sling setup, and 3 boxes of the tss I ordered, I have 2 more en route. I am planning on deep cleaning the barrel here in the next week or so, and hopefully get some lead & tss on paper in the next few weeks once it warms up.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
I ordered some hoppes #9,bore brush and I had purchased the swivel eyes to have the synthetic stock drilled and instal the swivel eye. I went with the bolt in swivels, I already installed one on the mag cap and used blue loctite to keep it tight, I dropped gun off at my gunsmith and had him drill the stock,I could have done it but I trust him, he does excellent work and It cost me next to nothing and keeps a little cash in his pocket.I'll pick it up sometime next week when I am back up in that area.

I couldn't go "ghetto' with the sling, I had to be able to install a sling the "normal" way, or it would bother me.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
I picked my .410 up this afternoon and he did an excellent job with the sling swivel installation, I plan on deep cleaning the barrel in the next few days and get out next weekend to shoot it.I'll get a few pictures up later tonight.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............

Offline Critter

I just drilled our 870 .410 for swivels also.  I couldn't do the slip on sling either.  I used the Uncle Mikes 15612 kit, drilled and tapped the magazine cap for the swivel, epoxyed the stock stud in to make sure it didn't pull out of the stock.
Friends & Family Outdoors
Spread the Addiction!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Well, tomorrow is the day, I have 3 of my .410's packed, 2 20 gauges and a 12 gauge ready to shoot. Then I'll have at least 1 more trip to pattern with a few other guns before my season opens on 25th. I have 3 boxes of .410 target loads to get red dots on, and hopefully only use 3 tss #9's, 1 from each gun to get a good pattern at 40 yards. I am not gonna use a lot of ammo if the Rem 870 tss won't pattern decent with stock choke. I only ended up getting 3 boxes,not 5 as they never processed my 2nd order, but If they shoot out of my guns,I'll order more.

If I can load my own .410 tss shells, I am going to start, even if I have to build 250 of them in the next 5 years before we are allowed to use them turkey hunting. I'll shoot grouse with the .410's and 6's until I can shoot turkeys.