OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870 .410 tss or Mossberg 500 .410 turkey 24" original bottomland  (Read 4183 times)

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
I have a choice between either gun to make,I am only interested in these choices, so I would like to hear owners thoughts on both,for me I don't think I'll let the price difference be an issue.I am going in as these are same cost.I  honestly like both but I am only looking to buy one, I can't find a whole lot of patterning on these guns. I like both options and will be ordering either online when I decide. Tell me about your pro's and con's about these models,not interested in other models, or info,other threads for that on here...Thanks.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline walk2slow

I have the Mossberg 410, with the Federal tss #9th it throw a good enough patterns at 35 yards to kill a turkey and this is with the choke tube that came with the gun the action is a little rough but it only been shot 10 times,
Walk2Slow

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
I have a little 20 gauge mossberg 500 super bantam turkey and its unreal after It is broken in, I love the gun and it patterns amazing. I have been back and forth for about 10 days on these guns and I keep coming back to the mossberg 500, I think I like the pro's on it over the pro's on the 870 .410, like you said, this just going to be a turkey gun eventually and a gun I carry grouse hunting and maybe for a box of 25 shells out of a year. It won't get a lot of hard use.

I am most likely going to purchase tomorrow or the next day.

Offline walk2slow

One more thing about the Mossberg, if you need any parts for it look at their web site, I have ordered parts for my buddy 835 and my 500 (firing pin, springs ect.) good selection if you happen to take it apart and loose something or something wears out, I have a 500 12gauge that I had for years and it works slick, I also have a 870 with a 22in turkey barrel, I like the Remington but  I'll take the Mossberg  everytime. I like the 410 due to having shoulder problems, had to park the big boys.
Walk2Slow

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
I'd go 870

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Ya, still deciding, there is nothing that I don't like about either gun to be fair other than I wish the 870 had swivel studs on it, I'd have to buy a new sling, but I'd probably buy one for the mossberg as well.

I do like the tang safety because I am a southpaw but that has never been an issue on any gun I have ever purchased, I just happen to prefer them. I'd be shooting Federal #9's as I can find them up here to basically target shoot a little and get red dot dialed in, as I can't hunt turkeys with a .410 yet but I can take it on trips to certain states the next few years if we start travelling again south of the border.

I have been looking and really can't find out much info on either, or much patterning info. It all seems to be for the stevens 301 .410 , I bought one as well but I want a pump. I am not gonna use the  301 .410 as my "go too" .410 turkey gun. It's a great back up and a great little gun for the price.

I'd buy the sa-410 turkey from Mossberg but I honestly can find two .410's in camo up here,both pumps.So I'll buy one of these and a nice little red dot and eventually 6-8 boxes of tss so i have it,hopefully shoot less than a box, or a box and keep rest so I have it.

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
I made my decision and bought the gun, It is time to buy a new sling for the new gun I decided on,I am ordering the ammo after I type this...What a great day, I joined the just legal enough to be considered "middle age" club, yet still have lots of hair and only a little grey in my beard still.....old enough to care, young enough that I don't give a s...t.....

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
The ammo is ordered,time to find a new sling and 1 aftermarket choke as well. Any idea on which gun you think I purchased? :popcorn:

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
My guess is you bought the Mossberg.  Why? Because you are left handed and the safety is in a better place for you.  Also the Remington does not come with sling studs!  At the price they want for one you would think they could spring for sling studs.  IIRC the Remington is built on their 20 Ga. receiver which makes it heavier.  IMO the Remington is also overpriced.  I own a 2018 vintage Mossberg "Baby" Model 500(which is built on a smaller .410 sized receiver) 26" barrel fixed full choke covered in Mossy Oak Obsession camo. I really like it.  I hope you like yours too if you bought the Mossberg! Ha! ;D  Am I right about which one you bought?
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
It was probably the toughest decision I have made on a shotgun, and I actually purchased the Remington in the end, I like my handful of Mossbergs and Remingtons, I really did not have any "favorite" I just felt that the Remington was the better gun for me, even with no sling swivels, I like the sight option, even though I could have just purchased a similiar one for gun. I am happy with my decision as the last 10 or so days I have been debating on which gun, I actually was leaning towards the 500 until last night.

I am not going to lie, I think it's overpriced as well, It was $188.15 more than the mossberg 500. I wasn't basing my purchase on price,honestly I don't think the Remington is worth that much more,It was not a consideration in my purchase though. The biggest reason I decided to stick with the Remington is that It was the gun I first wanted to buy a year ago and then had a mixup and it was not the correct gun etc. 

I think both guns would be an excellent choice for anybody for a pump. I am excited to get this gun and pattern it.

I purchased a Butler creek easy rider sling in Mossy Oak Break-Up for it, and I am going to buy a little red dot for it in the next few weeks as well.

I am going to try and get my buddy to purchase the Mossberg 500 .410 in original bottomland,I am going to text him until he does.

Offline limhnger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Seems that you can rest easy now...

Offline Hawgfan

I had one of those little Mossberg 500’s in Bottomland camo. Sweet little pump but like a dummy, I let my buddy talk me out of it. I bought a Mossberg SA-410 in Bottomland and absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
I would like to add another .410 in the future, I wanted a semi but I could not find something I liked right now.

I may buy the 500 in the future, if It's still avalaible at the shop, I love adding shotguns to my collection. The Mossberg is a sharp looking gun in the bottomland original, and I know it will kill as many birds as any others.

Offline squirrel_hunter

I have the mossberg's 500 410 and sa 410 both in tss turkey guns. I first bought the 500 model first.  I bought it just for squirrel hunting.  But started turkey hunting with both. I never used the factory turkey choke. I bought a IC .385 and carlson tss chokes. Both shoots very well in them. I am using apex ninja  in both.

Offline walk2slow

You bought a good gun, it comes down to what you want, as for being 188.00 dollars more, that not much to have what you want .
Walk2Slow