OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to keep Bois de Rose from turning black

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, March 01, 2022, 07:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Bois de Rose can be an amazing tonewood and most of the turned pieces I see turn out black, either due to the blank being mostly black or the purple/red color fading to black.  I've seen a few turned pieces that still had a good bit of red once turned and finished.  I want my Bois de Rose to have color for as long as possible.  I have a turned piece that looks pretty sharp that I keep with all my other calls in complete darkness to keep them from turning.  My question is how would a call maker produce a Bois de Rose piece that maintained its color? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

HookedonHooks

Once turned, you will expose fresh wood underneath that will still have some color depending on the size/age of blank.

With Rosewood's, BdR in particular, Cocobolo is another one that changes often a lot too, it's because they're oily wood. As you said it's mostly due to light exposure, the oils in the wood are brought to the surface of the wood and if the call has a finish they are trapped at the surface of the call, typically darkening the wood. Limiting light exposure will slow this process, but time ultimately wins and will turn the call's color so there's no real stopping it. Again this is common for Dalbergia's, and a good blank of BdR will deepen into that purple rather than a black, but I know what you're talking about. Cocobola can have properties that over time the color intensifies due to the lighter tendencies in the wood, the oils rising to the surface will bring out more contrast in the wood, but some Cocobola will just turn really dark red/brown as well and isn't all that pretty after some time.

Meleagris gallopavo

mastevt

When I stabilize wood, its submerged in Resin and put under a vacuum..  you can see it boil as the air is pulled from the wood.  I wonder if putting it in something like mineral spirits and doing the same thing with it, pull a vacuum and see if the air that is pulled, pulls the oils with it.  Essentially washing the wood from the inside out.  May have to remove it several times and let it air dry, and repeat.   Kinda like ringing out a wash rag.  I've never tried it.  Wonder if it would work.  Then stabilize the piece afterwords.

Meleagris gallopavo

I mainly wondering if the speed of getting a finish product on it and the type of finishing product would help preserve the purple color.  I think some finishes, especially those used for exterior wood on houses, have some type of UV protectant in them.  I keep all my calls out of light when not in use which I think helps slow the darkening process.

misfire

About the only thing I could think of the best preserve the color is a CA finish.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: misfire on March 01, 2022, 10:30:10 AM
About the only thing I could think of the best preserve the color is a CA finish.
What's CA?

davisd9

I have a Rose De Bois trumpet that is about 3-4 years old. It has changed more than any other trumpet I own but it has not turned black. It has gone to a more rasin/wine purple. The figure is still there but you cannot capture it in a photo. One of my favorite calls!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mastevt

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on March 01, 2022, 10:38:10 AM
Quote from: misfire on March 01, 2022, 10:30:10 AM
What's CA?

Cyanoacrylate Glue.  It's basically super glue formulated for wood.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

mmclain

You can't stop it from darkening.  Just enjoy it for what it is.   

M,Yingling

yep not going stop it from getting darker keep doing what your doing keep out sunlight will help keep color bit longer ,,,,, just like the pink in flamed boxelder over time its going turn brown   ,,,tho they say stabilizing helps a bit
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Meleagris gallopavo

Thanks folks!

gergg

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on March 01, 2022, 08:13:56 PM
Thanks folks!

Yep, I finished one a few weeks ago, sure enough turned darker as usual, but it still had that cool burgundy/rose hue to it. I got a pile of BdR too, love the stuff.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: gergg on March 02, 2022, 03:57:22 PM
Thanks folks!

Yep, I finished one a few weeks ago, sure enough turned darker as usual, but it still had that cool burgundy/rose hue to it. I got a pile of BdR too, love the stuff.
May have to hit you up for a BDR trumpet.  I'm all about the burgundy/rose hue while it lasts.

gergg

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on March 02, 2022, 04:11:44 PM
Quote from: gergg on March 02, 2022, 03:57:22 PM
Thanks folks!

May have to hit you up for a BDR trumpet.  I'm all about the burgundy/rose hue while it lasts.

Sure is pretty when it is freshly turned though...lol
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls