turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your favorite flavor of Watkins?

Started by HookedonHooks, February 26, 2022, 07:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HookedonHooks

I know a lot of guys have a particular wood for a box, whether it's a paddle material or body material, that they often gravitate towards. For me it's Blue Mahoe, which isn't necessarily the "best" or most traditional box call material but Marlin sure can find a turkey in it. What's your favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J_Bird

I have a Blue Mahoe and mora and the Blue Mahoe is probably my favorite wood for the box. I would love to have a lineup like that . Out of those, what is your favorite combo??

Gobbler428

I tend to like Massacar Ebony lids whether its Marlin's or TJ's

kwild835

I love his butternut boxes.  Mora, Macassar, Bloodwood, Ipe, snakewood, all killer!

HookedonHooks

Quote from: J_Bird on February 26, 2022, 07:43:16 PM
I have a Blue Mahoe and mora and the Blue Mahoe is probably my favorite wood for the box. I would love to have a lineup like that . Out of those, what is your favorite combo??
Mora/Mahoe is a damn good one, probably his most common Mahoe combo. My favorite though is probably his next most common Mahoe combo and that is, Hop Hornbeam/Blue Mahoe. I've got a four call set of the Fiddle, Fiddle Paddle, Misfit, and One Sider in Hop Hornbeam/Blue Mahoe from him and all four of them are exceptional, world class, calls.

shatcher

You wasted your money.  Should have gone poplar or cedar.  Blue mahoe is for pot calls! lol

wchadw

Walnut with hophorn lid

HookedonHooks

Quote from: shatcher on February 26, 2022, 08:29:06 PM
You wasted your money.  Should have gone poplar or cedar.  Blue mahoe is for pot calls! lol
That's what Marlin tells me too! Lol. Since the very first one I've got from him.

I've played some calls on his table at shows in other combo's and you're not lying either.

Yoder409

Macassar/wormy persimmon in a bridge design

NASTY !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

shatcher

Quote from: HookedonHooks on February 26, 2022, 08:35:31 PM
Quote from: shatcher on February 26, 2022, 08:29:06 PM
That's what Marlin tells me too! Lol. Since the very first one I've got from him.

I've played some calls on his table at shows in other combo's and you're not lying either.
Anything with a butternut bottom too.  Bloodwood and Ipe over butternut.  Take it to the bank!

Zobo

This hop horn over poplar rules, I like his boxes that I've tried with butternut, persimmon, walnut, maple, cedar... the North American woods.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

MJW

Txag12

Enjoying seeing the responses as I plan to pick up another one or two from him. I would say my favorite is probably mora/butternut or macassar/persimmon....very close though I like them for their own respective qualities

Badger

3bailey3