OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: .410 shooters - advice please  (Read 1949 times)

Offline ShortMagFan

.410 shooters - advice please
« on: February 25, 2022, 04:40:47 PM »
Have an old H&R Topper .410.

Factory barrel is 25” and full choke.

Shot the Rogue 9.5 TSS load today thru it to see how it does. Needs a red dot but put about 100 in the 10” at 40 yards.

I’ve already put a Choate Tamer stock on it and plan to mount a Fastfire and have it dipped.

I’m debating leaving the barrel as is vs chopping it shorter and threading for chokes.

This is a fun gun project. Obviously I want it to work as well as it can. I’m not worried about the cost of the work being well in excess of the value of the gun

My question for those more experienced than me is whether I can expect an improvement - and if so - how much of an improvement by chopping and threading the barrel. I might go as short as 18” to make it a really light and compact gun

Appreciate any insight from those that have been down this road before

Ps - I shot it today without doing anything special to the bore. It wasn’t filthy but wasn’t clean either. It hasn’t been polished

Offline PharmHunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: .410 shooters - advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 05:25:14 PM »
I inherited the same gun from my grandfather so I didn't want to cut and thread the barrel.  It's not going to be a pattern star on paper, but inside 30 I'm confident it will kill turkeys as is.  It may just hit them from their beak to their feet ;D, but everyone I've shot with TSS 9.5's has crumbled. 
That being said, I'm sure you could majorly improve pattern performance by doing so.

Offline huntinsomd

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 06:44:14 PM »
I'd contact an expert like Sumtoy to discuss the idea. He should have a good idea as to what you could expect. My guess is you could see an improvement of 50% or more.

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 10:36:21 PM »
If it wasn't sentimental I'd thread the barrel.

Offline treein dixie

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »
Tss doesn’t favor short 410 barrels

Offline ShortMagFan

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 04:06:58 PM »
I'd contact an expert like Sumtoy to discuss the idea. He should have a good idea as to what you could expect. My guess is you could see an improvement of 50% or more.

Yeah I called and email Sumtoy. Have not gotten a response to the email. Got someone on the phone but it wasn’t William so not much help other than letting me know they aren’t taking on new gun projects right now. Hope he sees this and chimes in

Tss doesn’t favor short 410 barrels

Interesting. Can you tell me more?

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 09:42:41 AM »
You can thread it.   I would think you will pick up numbers in the 10.   You on the edge of the yes do it and no dont.    If it was 120 I would hunt.  Now You may try a different load and it help.   Alot of stuff floats around the 410 world now because they have became a money game.  (Sad).     

Bad thing is we are covered up and cant take in a gun at this time but hope to be able to in a few weeks.    Thing about it everyone decides to build a gun at the same time.  I wish some would do it in the summer time when we slow. 

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline ShortMagFan

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 02:38:52 PM »
You can thread it.   I would think you will pick up numbers in the 10.   You on the edge of the yes do it and no dont.    If it was 120 I would hunt.  Now You may try a different load and it help.   Alot of stuff floats around the 410 world now because they have became a money game.  (Sad).     

Bad thing is we are covered up and cant take in a gun at this time but hope to be able to in a few weeks.    Thing about it everyone decides to build a gun at the same time.  I wish some would do it in the summer time when we slow. 

Thanks for the reply.  I’ll wait until summer but will send you the barrel then to be chopped (probably at 18”) and threaded and a fastfire base installed.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 04:50:22 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I’ll wait until summer but will send you the barrel then to be chopped (probably at 18”) and threaded and a fastfire base installed.

good deal.  We have time to play with it some.   Now we 10 to 12 hrs a day 6 days.   Cant find help that you trust to hire.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA