OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Chokes

Started by jerf, February 13, 2022, 05:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerf

Thoughts on the kicks .690. How does it do with the 5 shot winchesters?

the Ward

I used that choke for awhile, but i don't remember what it did with the win 5s. I do know that although the winchester turkey ammo is readily available for the 10 gauge, the patterns seem to open up a lot more compared to other brands at 40 yards. The Kicks .690 is a good choke, and i got good patterns with a variety of ammo. I retired the 10 from turkey hunting and sold my stuff. Then i decided i wanted a 24" barrel,so it would be more handy out of the boat and layout blind. So that led to a renewed interest in turkey hunting with it again lol! I picked up an Indian creek .720 on clearance, and it shoots well for the hunting i do. I am shooting bead only, and it shoots dead on, with a even forgiving pattern with the shells i am using. I haven't patterned at 40 with it, as my range was flooded and i could only get to 30, but i was happy with it's performance.The big deal with the 10 is ammo more than the chokes, as the factories haven't improved the 10 gauge turkey loads like they have the 12 and 20 gauges. There are some good shells out there, but they are very pricey, but impressive. There are members here that reload for the 10, and they get amazing numbers with tss. The winchester is a good 30-35 yard shell out of my gun, and will kill at 40 i suppose, but your 10" numbers at 40 are probably going to be low. But a pattern test is the only way to be sure of what your gun will do.

deadbuck

My experience is that the 5 shot Winchesters aren't going to impress you no matter what choke you shoot in the 10 ga. They are good for checking zero on your red dot to then shoot TSS through for hunting. I have a bunch of the old lead 4 and 5 shot 10 ga ammo and it isnt very valuable since Hevi shot TSS came along.

potter

Agree with above.  I did have some luck with the old red hulled winchesters no 4.  Or the federal heavy no 7.  Both discontinued.

jerf

Old Gobbler

It will kill any gobbler that walked at 40yards that's for sure as long as it's shooting straight
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon