OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Older Gentlemen at Turkey Trot Acres This Past Year  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Older Gentlemen at Turkey Trot Acres This Past Year
« on: February 21, 2022, 08:19:55 PM »
There was an older gentlemen at Turkey Trot Acres this past year selling pushpin calls, I liked one of them that I had played but lost his card that I had gotten from him. I remember he was talking about him being the only person there that had been in both of Earl Mickels first two books, but I do not recall his names. Does anyone happen to know who it was by chance? Thank you very much. Edit: Okay to try to help a little bit more when you walked into the area where they have the calls set up he would have been against the farthest wall or directly across from where Jody Harrison was set up. Also this is a list of makers that were there, I just can't remember names well because of my meds.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:16:21 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Older Gentlemen at Turkey Trot Acres This Past Year
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 08:24:09 PM »
There was an older gentlemen at Turkey Trot Acres this past year selling pushpin calls, I liked one of them that I had played but lost his card that I had gotten from him. I remember he was talking about him being the only person there that had been in both of Earl Mickels first two books, but I do not recall his names. Does anyone happen to know who it was by chance? Thank you very much.

Maybe Jonathan Payne? I don’t know how old he is. Maybe Shannon will see this, he might know.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 08:26:43 PM »
There was an older gentlemen at Turkey Trot Acres this past year selling pushpin calls, I liked one of them that I had played but lost his card that I had gotten from him. I remember he was talking about him being the only person there that had been in both of Earl Mickels first two books, but I do not recall his names. Does anyone happen to know who it was by chance? Thank you very much.

Maybe Jonathan Payne? I don’t know how old he is. Maybe Shannon will see this, he might know.
Not completely sure. He had them made of two different woods, I know at first I looked at the one with the darker wood but then when I picked up the one with the lighter colored wood I liked the sound of it a lot more and since I hunt in a blind anyway the color does not matter I guess.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 08:38:54 PM »

Not completely sure. He had them made of two different woods, I know at first I looked at the one with the darker wood but then when I picked up the one with the lighter colored wood I liked the sound of it a lot more and since I hunt in a blind anyway the color does not matter I guess.

Did they have stainless steel looking pins? Payne’s pins look to be thin stainless steel, not the traditional looking wood dowel-like pins….They also have a round wood end on the pin….
“Solo hunter”

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 08:52:24 PM »

Did they have stainless steel looking pins? Payne’s pins look to be thin stainless steel, not the traditional looking wood dowel-like pins….They also have a round wood end on the pin….
I am sorry to say I simply do not remember. I want to say they had a coin on it but I can not say that with certainly, my meds make my memory not worthy of trust.

John Koenig:

Online Tyoung

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 09:31:43 PM »
Winky Hicks, I believe, was in Michel’s first two books. I don’t think he was at Turkey Trot. I’m pretty sure the person with the sweet sounding push-pins at Turkey Trot would have been Mike Lapp. Mike Lapp may have been in both books.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 10:05:26 PM »
Winky Hicks, I believe, was in Michel’s first two books. I don’t think he was at Turkey Trot. I’m pretty sure the person with the sweet sounding push-pins at Turkey Trot would have been Mike Lapp. Mike Lapp may have been in both books.
If this is Mr. Lapp in the bottom photo then it was not him. Unless he is much older now. http://www.mikelappturkeycalls.com/about

John Koenig:

Offline Scpossum

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 02:16:44 AM »
It was Richard Kinney, otherwise known as Uncle Dickie.  He was in not only the first two, but the third book as well.  I just know because I had that same conversation with him in Nashville Friday night. 

Offline Scpossum

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 02:18:49 AM »
Here he is in the front row - center. Gray shirt.  Mike Lapp is on the front row, but over on the right of center.  Well, second row technically on that side.   

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline gonehuntin982

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 02:28:05 PM »
Dang older gentleman LOL oh i guess i do fit that category but I'm sure your talking Uncle Dickie he was selling pushpin calls I did not have any at turkey trot Setting on the first step I am the third person from right to left Dick is the fifth person Clint Corder has his arm around Dick Kinney he is from New Jersey
Thanks for the picture scpossum

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 02:50:15 PM »
It was Richard Kinney, otherwise known as Uncle Dickie.  He was in not only the first two, but the third book as well.  I just know because I had that same conversation with him in Nashville Friday night.
Yes it was Mr. Kinney, thank you very much. Do you happen to have contact information for him by chance? Thank you either way and nice picture.

Dang older gentleman LOL oh i guess i do fit that category but I'm sure your talking Uncle Dickie he was selling pushpin calls I did not have any at turkey trot Setting on the first step I am the third person from right to left Dick is the fifth person Clint Corder has his arm around Dick Kinney he is from New Jersey

I would not put you in the older gentleman category, I would if I were still 16 but I am 52 now. Of course at 16 30 is ancient. Thank you as well for the help.

John Koenig:

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 09:26:43 PM »
great pic, i wish someone could put a name to all in that pic, Lapp is the only one i recognized.

Offline gonehuntin982

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 11:30:15 AM »
Yes it was Mr. Kinney, thank you very much. Do you happen to have contact information for him by chance? Thank you either way and nice picture.

I would not put you in the older gentleman category, I would if I were still 16 but I am 52 now. Of course at 16 30 is ancient. Thank you as well for the help.

Well my father told me " old" will always be 20 years older then your age at the time  ;)
Uncle Dickies yelpers 973-271-0183

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 02:18:03 PM »

Well my father told me " old" will always be 20 years older then your age at the time  ;)
Uncle Dickies yelpers 973-271-0183

Thank you much. My nephew asked me if I was over the hill, I told him no, but I am darn sure peering over the horizon!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 05:29:15 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig: