OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Show us your go-to Striker

Started by Tom007, February 18, 2022, 09:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greentrout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Turkeytider

Interesting to me, and not inordinately surprising, that the preponderance of " go to " strikers are on the harder end of the Janka scale. Two exceptions are birch ( AKA Frogwood ) at 1260 and hickory at 1820. I know in my own case I find the harder the wood, the better and easier they are to play.

greentrout

I would also add that laminated birch would most certainly be higher on the janka scale. Not all hickory seems to be alike, but for the guys who really know what they're doing turning make some really fine strikers. I bought my Lyman Hickory for my slate but have been surprised at how much I love it with my ceramic.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Turkeytider

Quote from: greentrout on April 07, 2022, 09:14:50 AM
I would also add that laminated birch would most certainly be higher on the janka scale. Not all hickory seems to be alike, but for the guys who really know what they're doing turning make some really fine strikers. I bought my Lyman Hickory for my slate but have been surprised at how much I love it with my ceramic.

Excellent point about the laminated nature of Frogwood. That stuff flat plays!

gergg

I haven't used these strikers (or pot calls) in a long time. Last year I took them out for a trial run on some public land birds, the birds liked all 3 of these. Every one runs great on aluminum, glass, and slate....Not even sure who made these, but they run fantastic.

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Zobo

Quote from: gergg on April 07, 2022, 12:52:13 PM
I haven't used these strikers (or pot calls) in a long time. Last year I took them out for a trial run on some public land birds, the birds liked all 3 of these. Every one runs great on aluminum, glass, and slate....Not even sure who made these, but they run fantastic.

The one on the right looks Brad Roberts
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

gergg

Quote from: Zobo on April 08, 2022, 10:24:08 PM
Quote from: gergg on April 07, 2022, 12:52:13 PM

The one on the right looks Brad Roberts
Yes, I believe you are correct, the Snakewood is from Brad.....a very good running striker for me. The Osage Orange striker says "Varmints Inc." on it, a fine running/sounding striker as well.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

RH1

Early indications are..might be this one. Katalox
Red Hills Turkey Calls

doublespurs21

the osage striker with Varmints writen on it is by lonehowl,, first name is mark, don't remember his last name

RH1

...changed my mind again.

1 week left to prove it :)
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Lonehowl

Yep the Osage one is one of my older ones. I have not made strikers in a long while but love turning them.
Mark