turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 Fieldmaster

Started by Matt76cmich, February 17, 2022, 09:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt76cmich

Anyone have any thoughts on the new RemArms 870 Fieldmaster?

I haven't found too much info on them and they don't have anything about it on their website. What I have read and watched it sounds very promising for their future, but I'd really want to wait until I get one in my hands to judge it. I have found a couple places selling the 12ga 28" barrel version, but I want to wait until the 12 and 20 gauge 26" versions come out before I buy one.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Gmed

Matt76cmich

Quote from: Gmed on February 17, 2022, 09:48:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0hEAhilSk

There is a YouTube review of the 12 gauge version....
Yeah I saw that. Looks promising.

Lucky Goose

I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

I wish I had a crystal ball to see what they are coming out with in the future....or, even better, a time machine to go back and buy the good stuff.

S.davis

I handled one at Scheel's a few days ago. There was an Express on the rack as well, presumably one of the new production ones made from the old leftover stock parts at Remarms. It was nice to look at them both side by side. The Fieldmaster was $100 more, and was clearly higher quality. Smother cycling (I heard they are vibrahoning them, as they always did with Wingmasters), better wood (if still fairly roughly finished), cut checkering, drilled and tapped, and what appears to be a significantly better matte finish. The gun felt as nice as the new, lower grade BPSs. Somewhere between a Sporting 12 Pump and a Special Purpose 870, if you are familiar with those lamentably short-lived models. 

Midway is showing Wingmasters, V3s and 1100s as "coming soon", so I'm hopeful. I no longer shoot semi-autos, but a 28 ga. Wingmaster would sorely tempt me, since the Ithaca 28s are impossible to find. 

WildTigerTrout

I saw and handled one at a LGS this past week.  Looks good to me.  It has better wood although nothing special, cut checkering, it's drilled and tapped and the overall quality and fit  looks better IMO.  It was around $500 IIRC.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Matt76cmich

Good to hear the new Remingtons are checking out. Hoping to find one to check out in person soon myself.

Matt76cmich

Well, just won one of the 12ga 26" 870 Fieldmasters on Gunbroker so we'll see how it is when it gets here.

Matt76cmich

Went and picked it up today. Feels really good to me and hoping to get out this weekend to shoot a box or two.

btomlin

Nice!  Good luck with your testing

lowoctane

Looks good! I like the wood/steel look. :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

CrustyRusty

Can't wait to see if they make it a 20 also

Matt76cmich

Quote from: CrustyRusty on February 24, 2022, 04:13:01 PM
Can't wait to see if they make it a 20 also
They do, Midway USA was showing April 7th (also said that for the 26" 12 gauge). Gonna see how the 12 gauge pans out and might have to pick up a 20 gauge as well.

DMTJAGER

I own a 12ga 2.75" 870 Wingmaster first gun I bought with my own money or should I say my dad bought it for me as I was only 14 as a freshman in HS in 1977, and saved up EVERY cent I made from working my paper route and every dollar my aunts and uncles gave me for B-days and X-mas to buy it.
Also own three 12ga 3" 870 Express models (one has literally never been shot and remains NIB as it was a pure impulse WAAAY too cheap a price to pass up buy) and one 12ga 3.5" Express Supermag.

Converted one of the 3" 12ga Express models to a dedicated home defence gun and one 12ga 3" Express is my sons dedicated turkey gun. The Express Supermag is my personal favorite dedicated turkey gun. All have served me without issue or failings after countless 1ks of shells. But I bought my last 870 the 12ga 3.5" Supermag in I think it was 1991 or 1992 so it's been a bit of a while since I bought a Remington Shotgun.

Personally seeing as I own four 870's one 835 and one Supernova, if I were to buy another pump 12ga I'd try to find an acceptably priced used 12ga 3" 870 Wingmaster in VG shape at Gunbroker as I own more than enough utility grade shotguns.

Lucky Goose

I picked one up last week.  I think it's fair to say they are better than an express but a far cry from a wingmaster.

Acceptable price and Gunbroker don't belong in the same sentence.  I can't even look on gunbroker anymore.