OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sitka turkey vest  (Read 14870 times)

Offline Archivist13

Re: Sitka turkey vest
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2022, 11:54:31 PM »
There are more comfortable seats if you’re planning to sit for hours at a time. But using for rng style on shorter sits and stands its perfect. Will run it again next spring. Got used to using a hose and bladder. Actually drank more water and stayed better hydrated than when I had to fuss with a bottle.

I also used the hose and bladder and completely agree with you. I actually changed to a bladder and hose for deer season this year after using it during turkey.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2022, 07:24:10 AM »
I have mine coming tomorrow. I like the layout and quality. For RNG, it looks great. The box call pocket looks real long and padded, I will use it for push-pins. Can’t wait to give it a go. Got it for a real good price new, so I pulled the trigger….I like the timber Camo, will blend nice in Northeast big woods.
“Solo hunter”

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »
Mine will be here tomorrow too. I went with Subalpine. That pattern in Virginia makes me disappear against the fields and foothills. I've been running the Alps Grand Slam without the kickstand. Good vest but overkill for how I hunt. The seat and water bottle holder isn't a deal breaker and what sold me was watching this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSfOnlg-_4

He removed the mesh on the outside pack pocket and this allows you to hold a decoy or turkey using the straps as compression straps.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2022, 06:40:09 AM »
We can give a review this spring after field testing…. :turkey2:
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2022, 05:46:17 PM »
Got my Sitka vest in Timber pattern. It is very well made, every facet was well thought out. Very comfortable and has a solid adjustable fit. The reason I chose this vest is the pocket layout. Has a very good pot call pocket for 2 pots and mouth diaphragms. The best feature for me is a long well padded box call pocket. Since I use pushpins, it is long enough to fit Shannon’s calls, and protects them real well. The seat looks thin, but reading about it and sitting on it, it does not compress flat and is very comfortable so far. Will give a report after field trials this spring. Initial thoughts, I like the quality, layout, and seat. Be safe…
“Solo hunter”

Offline Jester87

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Arizona
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2022, 11:23:20 AM »
The seat and water bottle holder isn't a deal breaker and what sold me was watching this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSfOnlg-_4

He removed the mesh on the outside pack pocket and this allows you to hold a decoy or turkey using the straps as compression straps.

Cut the mesh, I like this idea, great mod!

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2023, 10:41:49 AM »
I know this is an older thread. But I think I`m gonna pull the trigger on this one. Pricey but I can live with that if it does the job.

Offline ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2023, 10:59:28 AM »
I know this is an older thread. But I think I`m gonna pull the trigger on this one. Pricey but I can live with that if it does the job.
Depends on what you carry and what your standards are for a vest. I sent mine back. The box call pocket let the call squeak on 3 or 4 different boxes I put in it. The magnets on the pot call pocket were pretty weak and only left the bungee string as basically the only means to hold it shut. The small side pocket is only big enough for a pair of gloves. If it was a 60$ vest, I wouldn’t complain, but at 260$, it left a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2023, 04:27:19 PM »
Depends on what you carry and what your standards are for a vest. I sent mine back. The box call pocket let the call squeak on 3 or 4 different boxes I put in it. The magnets on the pot call pocket were pretty weak and only left the bungee string as basically the only means to hold it shut. The small side pocket is only big enough for a pair of gloves. If it was a 60$ vest, I wouldn’t complain, but at 260$, it left a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know it has some drawbacks but I`ll give it the once over and check it out. No like it goes back!

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2023, 05:18:25 PM »
Look on eBay for deals

There’s a few there now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline bigdrumnc

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2023, 06:28:25 PM »
How about using a binocular harness with the Sitka vest?  Mine fit tight in the inside pockets.

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2023, 12:06:27 AM »
It’s fine at $199 or below, just look for sales…
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2023, 05:45:28 PM »
Received vest today. Well made and the straps will slide up and down to my liking. It is comfortable fit, shoulder fit is perfect. A lot of adjustment. Minimalist for sure. Where I feel it lacks is the seat. Everything else is doable. I run and gun then sit for as long as it takes for the bird to come in and I do not know if I can do it with this seat. Jury is out. We shall see.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2023, 07:14:18 AM »
Received vest today. Well made and the straps will slide up and down to my liking. It is comfortable fit, shoulder fit is perfect. A lot of adjustment. Minimalist for sure. Where I feel it lacks is the seat. Everything else is doable. I run and gun then sit for as long as it takes for the bird to come in and I do not know if I can do it with this seat. Jury is out. We shall see.

Best of luck with it!
“Solo hunter”

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2023, 01:14:03 PM »
I would be curious from those that purchased...  It appears to be a "run & gun" vest with no means of securring a harvested bird?

When I am "running & gunning," I am often in steep terrain and going fairly long distnaces...  Crucial to my (particular) needs is a comfortable way to secure and carry the bird out of a canyon/gorge and walking back a long ways.

Also curious as to how comfortable it is to lean against a tree with that water bladder in the back?  (Personally, I like a plastic water bottle, and compress it as I use water.  I have never been able to clean those bladders to my satisfaction (as it tastes "funny").
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.