OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The VERY BEST scratch box thread

Started by packmule, February 13, 2022, 11:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

Yoder409

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 20, 2022, 08:32:19 PM
TAKE MY MONEY!

I know  !!!!!   Right ???     :drool:

Now........ You want the bad news ??      :'(

This gentleman is really not into building these to sell, per se.  He supplies a few friends.  Builds some during the winter when there's not much to do outside.  Says he doesn't know if he wants to tie up the kind of time it would take to market these calls.

But, hey......... !!!! On the bright side......   If he ever does start building them to sell........  Have we ever got a snazzy little holster design for them !!!   :z-guntootsmiley:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: packmule on March 20, 2022, 08:43:50 PM
Wow that's cool!

There's some VERY ingenuous ideas incorporated into that little box. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 20, 2022, 08:47:55 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 20, 2022, 08:32:19 PM
TAKE MY MONEY!

I know  !!!!!   Right ???     :drool:

Now........ You want the bad news ??      :'(

This gentleman is really not into building these to sell, per se.  He supplies a few friends.  Builds some during the winter when there's not much to do outside.  Says he doesn't know if he wants to tie up the kind of time it would take to market these calls.

But, hey......... !!!! On the bright side......   If he ever does start building them to sell........  Have we ever got a snazzy little holster design for them !!!   :z-guntootsmiley:
So the question is, how do I become his friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beards and Hooks

Very neat, and nope you were right I don't have one

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

callmakerman

That's a very nice piece of work. Would love to have one myself but fully understand why he wouldn't want to take orders. He enjoys building them and that's more important than anything else.

Yoder409

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 20, 2022, 09:29:00 PM
So the question is, how do I become his friend

LOL !!!!   The $64K question.................

In my first telephone conversation with this gentleman, if I understood correctly.........this call was an original design of his father's.  I believe he said he found a box of calls......unfinished calls....from his dad's shop.  He remembered helping to build these as a youngster.  Apparently all the tools and machines had been sold from the shop.  So he decided to piece the shop back together again and resume building these and, at least, one other type of call.  But, at least at the present time, he's not really looking to get into taking orders, etc. 
PA elitist since 1979

Ranman

greentrout

A recent scratcher that quickly moved to the best one I have. Brown striped ebony box with a butternut soundboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

packmule

Wow I like that call and striker. Looks like there is a gap between two surface pieces. Can you run the call on either side of the striker? 

greentrout

It is two different woods with a gap between them. Very unique design that I have only seen this builder do. Each side of the striker is able to be used resulting in slightly different tones.

packmule

callmakerman

Quote from: greentrout on October 27, 2023, 10:25:55 AM
It is two different woods with a gap between them. Very unique design that I have only seen this builder do. Each side of the striker is able to be used resulting in slightly different tones.
The only maker that I've seen building this style of call is Bill Hinkle. I own three of his calls and feel that he did a nice job making them. I'm not sure if he does them any more.

greentrout

That is one of Bill's for sure. And I do not believe he is currently making any.

I still hope to add one from another Bill one day!!!

packmule

Quote from: greentrout on October 28, 2023, 07:57:47 AM
That is one of Bill's for sure. And I do not believe he is currently making any.

I still hope to add one from another Bill one day!!!

I see what you did there  ;D