turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The VERY BEST scratch box thread

Started by packmule, February 13, 2022, 11:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

Expanding on Yoder's box call thread.....

Let's see a pic of the VERY BEST sounding scratch box you ever owned.  Not limited to one single scratch box.  But, let's do one scratch box per post.  A pic or pics of that one scratch box and a full description.......maker.......wood combo......any side notes or sentimentalities.

Here is my submission:

Tim Bullock mulberry with mulberry striker. This call is something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

Nice call!!! I will try to dig some of mine out.

bobk

Scott Basehore  Alaskan Yellow Cedar with a slate striker. This caller is field proven and make great soft talk. Striker  is from a larger piece of slate found on family property.

bobk

Bill Lyman  Pistachio  & Holly with slate striker. A field proven scratcher that will do it all, from kee kee's to soft talk. 

packmule

TauntoHawk

I have two that immediately come to mind

This is an SS figured walnut with holly soundboard and a purpleheart striker I nicknamed the sleepy hen. It's my favorite call when talking to a gobbler on the limb

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

packmule

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 14, 2022, 02:03:30 PM
I have two that immediately come to mind

This is an SS figured walnut with holly soundboard and a purpleheart striker I nicknamed the sleepy hen. It's my favorite call when talking to a gobbler on the limb

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Wow, beautiful scratch box and beautiful photo!

Yoder409

So, this is gonna be VERY vague........

But the best scratcher I ever played was just last week. 

A gentleman sent it to me to have a holster made for it.  It is like NO other turkey call I had ever seen before.  But, the design was both misleading (doesn't look like any other scratcher you've ever seen) and ingenious at the same time.  The call he sent me was a walnut scratcher for a poplar box, out of his "reject pile".  Just as a pattern for the leather work.  Umma tell you right now......... I'd kill turkeys for the rest of my life with this "reject" !!!

Anyways........ I am not at liberty to post up another man's call.  And, I'm sure a bunch of you are gonna be wondering.  But, if I end up with one of these calls as my own......and with the maker's blessing....... I'll come totally clean.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 17, 2022, 11:29:57 AM

A gentleman sent it to me to have a holster made for it.  It is like NO other turkey call I had ever seen before.  But, the design was both misleading (doesn't look like any other scratcher you've ever seen) and ingenious at the same time.  The call he sent me was a walnut scratcher for a poplar box, out of his "reject pile".  Just as a pattern for the leather work.  Umma tell you right now......... I'd kill turkeys for the rest of my life with this "reject" !!!

Anyways........ I am not at liberty to post up another man's call.  And, I'm sure a bunch of you are gonna be wondering.  But, if I end up with one of these calls as my own......and with the maker's blessing....... I'll come totally clean.
You got me wondering who the maker is and if I have any of his.

Yoder409

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on February 17, 2022, 05:26:21 PM

You got me wondering who the maker is and if I have of his.

In talking to this gentleman........... I'm pretty sure you don't have a call from him.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 17, 2022, 05:46:42 PM
Quote from: Beards and Hooks on February 17, 2022, 05:26:21 PM

You got me wondering who the maker is and if I have of his.

In talking to this gentleman........... I'm pretty sure you don't have a call from him.
Cant wait to hear his name Yoder ????

Ranman

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

OK...........   Let's get a little of the cat out of the bag.

I talked to the gentleman who built this call this evening.  I'm ready to send him his new holster ad return the call.  These pics are of the call he sent me from his "reject pile".  Like I said before........  I'll take this "reject" out and kill turkeys with it ALL DAY LONG.

So, it LOOKS like a box call.  Like a mini-paddle.  Walnut paddle.  Poplar box.  BUT...........slide the paddle to the side.......it has one rail.  In the center.  And it does NOT run like a box call.  So the paddle is actually the striker.  Paddle handle held stationary between the left index and middle finger.......box held in the right hand and struck/slid across the paddle.   There's a modified poly spacer washer on the paddle/striker screw that controls/limits the angle to which the box can be rolled.  The paddle is held silently in place when not in use by a pivoting, sturdy leather retainer that is magnetically captured in the closed position.   Fit........finish........ingenuity.......sound.........this call is AMAZING !!!

PA elitist since 1979

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 20, 2022, 08:20:57 PM
OK...........   Let's get a little of the cat out of the bag.

I talked to the gentleman who built this call this evening.  I'm ready to send him his new holster ad return the call.  These pics are of the call he sent me from his "reject pile".  Like I said before........  I'll take this "reject" out and kill turkeys with it ALL DAY LONG.

So, it LOOKS like a box call.  Like a mini-paddle.  Walnut paddle.  Poplar box.  BUT...........slide the paddle to the side.......it has one rail.  In the center.  And it does NOT run like a box call.  So the paddle is actually the striker.  Paddle handle held stationary between the left index and middle finger.......box held in the right hand and struck/slid across the paddle.   There's a modified poly spacer washer on the paddle/striker screw that controls/limits the angle to which the box can be rolled.  The paddle is held silently in place when not in use by a pivoting, sturdy leather retainer that is magnetically captured in the closed position.   Fit........finish........ingenuity.......sound.........this call is AMAZING !!!

TAKE MY MONEY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk