turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short box, long box or both

Started by Bringintheh2o, February 13, 2022, 11:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bringintheh2o

I have 5 two sided short boxes and 4 single sided box calls. I am trying to decide if I need a long box. Maybe I should have thought about this 9 calls ago. Do I really need a long box?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Bringintheh2o on February 13, 2022, 11:08:10 AM
I have 5 two sided short boxes and 4 single sided box calls. I am trying to decide if I need a long box. Maybe I should have thought about this 9 calls ago. Do I really need a long box?
I've got over hundred, so one our 2 more want hurt you .. :TooFunny: 

tal

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 13, 2022, 12:19:45 PM
I've got over hundred, so one our 2 more want hurt you .. :TooFunny:

Spoken like a sage.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Yes.

Yes you DO need a long box.

At 9 box calls, you seem like you're starting to catch it.......the box call sickness, that is.  But you're nowhere near terminal, yet.   :toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

aclawrence

I've got four short boxes and one long box. I kind of like my long box the best. I see a lot of hard core long box guys. The sentiment seems to be they can do anything once you get good with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Augusta

I prefer a long box when hunting. 
Kee kee's
Loud locating cutting.
Multiple hens
Gobbler / jake yelps
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

310 gauge

Paddle can definitely earn it's keep in the field!

paboxcall

Quote from: West Augusta on February 13, 2022, 07:36:36 PM
I prefer a long box when hunting. 
Kee kee's
Loud locating cutting.
Multiple hens
Gobbler / jake yelps

:agreed:
Never leave home without one. And I'd add to Steve's list of long box calls above:

soft, content calls
gobble
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Zobo

You definitely need a long box if you're serious about learning all about box calls and what they can do, their capabilities in the field. A short box and a one-sider are similar in most ways but a long box is a different animal. And speaking of different animals, you might just need a hen box too  :cowboy:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Bringintheh2o

Well it sounds like I need a long box. Any recommendations from whom I can pick one up in a reasonable timeframe, hopefully before April 18th?

culpeper

If you go to Nashville later this week you can pick up a good LB from Jeff McKamey's booth. There also might be a builder who can have one ready for in short time.  For me, it's impossible to go to the turkey woos without a SB AND a LB

paboxcall

Watch the classified sections. Seems quality long boxes pop up ever few days or so, and the listings don't last long.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Bowguy

It's a better call imo. It can do lots more. I'd sell the others if I had to go get some long boxes.

Bringintheh2o

I have one on order from Jeff White and am watching a couple on the NWTF call auction. Thanks for all of the responses.