OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wifes thoughts on my call practice  (Read 3977 times)

Offline CntrlPAlongbeard

Re: Wifes thoughts on my call practice
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 01:48:01 PM »
You’re a lucky man. I worry for the safety of my calls when my wife is alone.
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 07:41:42 AM »
My wife kept pounding on the floor and yelling down the steps for me to stop the noise when I first started call making.

Fast forward a few months when I returned from a show and handed her a pile of cash. She asked, "what's this for" I said, " you mean what is that from". " All the noise you complained about". Never heard another word of it. She now has her own 8 call case and can tell me which one I am playing by sound. No kidd. I have caught her playing them when she didn't know I was home.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 08:26:35 AM »
I gave a trumpet to my 3 kids to practice on around the house. My wife hates me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy them all crow calls for Christmas....she'll be more than happy to hear those turkey calls again. Everything is relevant.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2022, 10:42:01 AM »
My wife has a uncanny nack of totally blocking my calling out. We can be in the same room and she never says a word. Then again , she claims that I only hear what I want to hear when she is talking to me.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »
Being a call maker, my wife puts up with a lot. I'm always running calls of all types. I know when she's had enough because she will start threatening to snap lids, strikers and trumpets. I hide them away for a bit then start in again and have never had a call broken. LOL

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »
It gives her an excuse to go shopping. She’s usually had enough when I’m calling and the Beagle starts howling along with me. I get BOOTED outside when she deems the weather nice enough and believe me the weather is marginal at best.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2022, 11:23:53 AM »
It gives her an excuse to go shopping. She’s usually had enough when I’m calling and the Beagle starts howling along with me. I get BOOTED outside when she deems the weather nice enough and believe me the weather is marginal at best.
Yea mine tells me to go out in the garage. To damn cold for that now. So, practice is inside.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2022, 11:29:15 PM »
I knew there was a reason I never got married!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2022, 11:56:17 AM »
Yea mine tells me to go out in the garage. To damn cold for that now. So, practice is inside.

I just go to the garage to start with.  My Mrs. doesn't gripe about calls being run in the house.  But the garage is where all my calls are anyways and it's pretty comfy there, so............ 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Moh20

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »
I just got another trumpet last week my wife said it would have to be surgically removed if she heard one more yelp. I'll have to move to my truck the garage is awful cold.

Offline HillclimberWV

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2022, 08:19:11 PM »
I just put a wood stove in my shop to try to save my wife's sanity. Between the wingbone I'm trying to master and me dipping my toes into box call making, she has put up with a lot this winter. My operation will me moving out of the basement to a more secluded location.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 11:56:31 PM »
Try practicing at 3:00 am and see how much she appreciates it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2022, 04:26:31 AM »
When my wife has heard enough Turkey calls. She will said something like I thought you said you needed to go to the hardware store. Another favorite  is sending me outside to take the dog for a walk.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 04:45:02 AM by bobk »

Online Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2022, 01:34:01 PM »
I look at it as a bonus. They get away from you as soon as you pull calls out ! Aaah peace!!!

It reminds me of this chick I dated one time. God bless her she’s passed now but she had these parrots. They made all kind of sounds. Even cried like her daughters baby. For the life of me I tried teaching them Turkey sounds. Woulda been awesome to walk in and hear a parrot yelping. Woulda drove her nuts even when I wasn’t there. Never did accomplish it and they never would even try. I should tried them, as cutlets.

Offline rong

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2022, 08:08:43 AM »
My wife thinks my calls are beautiful and bought a curio cabinet to put them in for display so everyone who visits can see them. She also believes that calls should be seen, not heard! When a turkey,duck, or goose call comes out of the cabinet it's  Banishment to the garage or outside! I comply. "Happy wife, happy life"