turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3 Reed Proph Tips / Side tension

Started by Gamechaser, February 10, 2022, 07:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamechaser

I just started making calls a little bit ago. Just a hobby with a hobby with my Dad.

I used to blow a 3 reed all proph combo cut all the time, but I cant seem to get the call to sound right since I started making my own.

Any tips yall would be willing to offer? I am using a press from Thad with the tension meter.

Thanks in advance

Pettit877

I tend to stretch my calls on the looser end with all proph calls. My all proph 3 reeds in bat and combo cut are typically stretched to .75-.90. Not sure I have one stretched past 100. This is just what works for me.

Eric

GobbleNut

In my view, experimentation with all the different elements is the key.  From my own experience, I just had to sort through all the different factors until I hit on what worked for me.  Reed material, reed numbers, stretch, reed spacing, back tension, cuts, and cut location all play a role in the sound of any call made. 

If you think you are getting the tension and reed spacing about right, then I would focus on the cuts and cut location on your calls.  Very minor changes in the cuts can significantly impact the sound of the call.  In addition, for combo cuts in particular, the location of the primary V-cut along the top reed can be important, depending on your specific air-flow mechanics.  For instance, over time, I found that I needed to offset the initial V-cut over to the right side of the call to achieve the best sound for me personally. 

The point being, there are so many variables in mouth calls that impact the sound of each call, you have to sort through those variables until you find what works for you, and then try to replicate that in each call you make.  Not only that, but what works for you may be entirely different from what works for the next guy. 

Proph-based calls, in particular, are probably the most finicky, and they tend to lose tension and sound quality faster than thicker reed material, especially if they are not "babied".  You might try moving to a combination of .003 (or maybe even .004) and see if that gets you to where you want to be.  The thicker material is less finicky, more durable, and if all the elements are sorted out properly, you will probably be able to achieve the sound you want.   :icon_thumright:

compton30

The first Gobbler I ever killed using only a mouth call was a 3 Reed batwing. I tried for a long time to replicate that call and just never could. So I started using Jim's "cut progression (you can search for it on here)" method and found that my #1 call is cut with a V cut with the wings trimmed. Probably halfway between a V and a Batwing.

My point, you might want a certain specific cut because someone else made one you liked. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll recreate it perfectly or that it really was the best call for you. Keep experimenting!

One final thing I'll add: Proph, unless I'm mistaken, is increasingly difficult to find if you don't wanna cut condoms. So if you take Jim's recommendation and mix in some calls with a .003 or .004 top reeds, you'll also save some proph. Just a thought I had while thinking on the question

strut-n-rut

Quote from: Pettit877 on February 10, 2022, 08:07:51 AM
I tend to stretch my calls on the looser end with all proph calls. My all proph 3 reeds in bat and combo cut are typically stretched to .75-.90. Not sure I have one stretched past 100. This is just what works for me.

Eric
Using a press?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

Pettit877

Quote from: strut-n-rut on February 10, 2022, 12:39:46 PM

Eric
Using a press?

Yes a feather ridge comp press. Not sure how it will run for you, l tend to favor lighter stretched calls in general.

strut-n-rut

Quote from: Pettit877 on February 10, 2022, 05:36:44 PM
Quote from: strut-n-rut on February 10, 2022, 12:39:46 PM

Eric
Using a press?

Yes a feather ridge comp press. Not sure how it will run for you, l tend to favor lighter stretched calls in general.
I'll have to try to build one with  that tension