Main Menu

High Pitch/Long Distance Calls

Started by Greg Massey, February 04, 2022, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

My, but that's a lousy picture........

Sorry
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: crow on February 06, 2022, 11:03:44 AM
A couple of us tried this experiment several years back, 2 people with walkie talkie's  separated by 2 sections of woods and a large cut hay field, we were about 500yds apart.

the mouth call (diaphragm), which some people think is the loudest, probably because the sound is right there by you ear, carried the least amount of distance, could barely hear it.

Cody glass pot call was next worst, louder than mouth call

next was longbox, I don't remember wood combo, noticeable improvement over pot call.

the loudest easiest to hear in the group was a wingbone call, noticeably easier to hear than the others.
All calls were used by facing the listener.

Did not try a tube that day, but now am going to have to for a comparison. I would expect it to be up there at the top.

I don't think in this case the pitch of the wingbone had any thing to do with it, more that it is directional in it's sound. I think either Mark P. or Kerry T. on the Dave Owens video said a trumpet is directional like a turkey choke, pot and box calls send sound spread out like an open choke.
That's super interesting, [mention]crow [/mention]! Sure wouldn't have figured. That would make good sense, though, the directional aspect, and that's something I sure hadn't thought about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zobo

That directional aspect is probably why a longbox works so well for striking a far off, unknown gobbler since we usually don't know it's directional angle. But if you did have an idea of its direction than maybe a trumpet is a better tool for the job. I'll have to try that this season. Interesting information.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

gergg

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

BTH

Use to have a Jerry "Dad's" White purple heart over poplar short box that would reach out there and snatch a gobble.
Phil 4:13

Bowguy

I'd say def a long box. I should add some to think about. I always state limited information is just that. The test about trying dif calls is sorta limited. Is interesting though but take the diaphragm, for one who was actually using it? That'll matter some I'd think, than the type, that goes for any call. I know I have a bunch of say pots or long boxes that vary. Heck I can take exact surface types say green slate, run them side by side and one is super loud sounding, one much more subdued. Also we need to take into account the way birds hear I'd think. It's not our ears but a birds. I've called birds I could see gobble by sticking their neck out so far away I never heard them until they got much closer but they were coming to my call and wound up dead.  This was before I had hearing issues. Anyway, as interesting as test might be I believe there might be lots of variables. Bet wind, terrain, foliage density, etc also add to equation. Food for thought

Chris O

Quote from: EZ on February 06, 2022, 10:06:49 AM
You don't need the high volume out of a wingbone or trumpet. Played at normal volume, it's amazing how far they can strike a gobble. I've been running them for over 30 years and am constantly amazed.
I am with you on that!!! A good box can reach out there also but I know those suction calls travel far and cut the wind.One bird I shot a few years ago while using your wingbone was probably in 20+ mph winds and I wasn't hammering on the call at all. I think a turkey can hear them from a couple miles away if there isn't a bunch of trees blocking the sound.

ferocious calls

Purpleheart over curly maple. They can be made to scream.

Greg Massey

Back several years ago in 25 plus mile air winds, i heard a faint gobble a couple of fields over and i hammered down on a Lohman Thunderdome slate and after about 20 minutes or less he came threw the hedge rows and right to me and i carried him out after the kill.. I really don't see how he even heard me in all that wind. It's amazing how they can radar in on sounds. That was the second gobbler ever killed on our farm and i also killed the first one...

SwampRooster17

Trumpet or paddle call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yotecatcher

I have a old M.A.D super aluminator call that has gotten a many a bird to gobble in all kind of different weather,if I can not make one gobble with it I just move.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Stormp908

Cut N Run

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on February 04, 2022, 05:55:00 PM
Quaker Boy boat paddle box call.

^^  This has worked well for me too.
Grabs 'em by the ears a long ways off.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.