OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: High Pitch/Long Distance Calls  (Read 7249 times)

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Re: High Pitch/Long Distance Calls
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 07:41:05 PM »
Definitely a box of one sort or another.

Walnut/walnut is high pitched
Purpleheart/mahogany is one of my favorites
Purpleheart/purpleheart is high pitched.

By FAR the loudest call I ever owned (or saw) is the FoxPro Crooked Spur Series Rude Snood.  Padauk/poplar with a hole routed out of the bottom of the call.  If you wanna be heard a couple of zip codes away...........
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline mmclain

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 08:40:42 PM »
High pitch actually doesn’t travel as far.  That misnomer was started by mark druery of mad calls.  The same guy that sold that dead silence dog whistle to market.   We all knO how that went.   The drumming of a Tom actually carries farther. 

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 10:45:28 PM »
High pitch actually doesn’t travel as far.  That misnomer was started by mark druery of mad calls.  The same guy that sold that dead silence dog whistle to market.   We all knO how that went.   The drumming of a Tom actually carries farther.

at a sportsman show I tried an experiment with 5 dog bells, I walked far away from the venders table and rang each bell. The lowest pitch bell was the easiest to hear over the distance and noise of the crowd for the 4 people that were listening.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 10:47:00 PM »
Wingbone or trumpet

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 08:14:02 AM »
All cedar longbox from TJ. I don't necessarily like the turkey sounds it makes, but the gobblers do and it has worked great in the wind and at long distances.

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 09:47:31 AM »
This is an interesting, related thread.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=20787.0

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 09:58:27 AM »
Pitch, tone, frequency, whatever you want to call it, that’s one thing; and, yes, as has been said apples to apples two sounds at the same volume/intensity, lower tones travel farther. But things aren’t apples to apples. Volume/intensity of sound is at play. And I’d be willing to bet that if you could get the volume out of a wingbone that you could get out of a long box you’d probably suck a crack in the side of the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »
You don't need the high volume out of a wingbone or trumpet. Played at normal volume, it's amazing how far they can strike a gobble. I've been running them for over 30 years and am constantly amazed.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 10:49:10 AM »
First load call is my Primos Heart Breaker Battleship boat paddle, Second, I have a Matt Van Cise Crystal Wenge with a Snakewood striker that can scream in the wind…. These 2 have proven them selves on very windy days…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 11:03:44 AM »
A couple of us tried this experiment several years back, 2 people with walkie talkie's  separated by 2 sections of woods and a large cut hay field, we were about 500yds apart.

the mouth call (diaphragm), which some people think is the loudest, probably because the sound is right there by you ear, carried the least amount of distance, could barely hear it.

Cody glass pot call was next worst, louder than mouth call

next was longbox, I don't remember wood combo, noticeable improvement over pot call.

the loudest easiest to hear in the group was a wingbone call, noticeably easier to hear than the others.
All calls were used by facing the listener.

Did not try a tube that day, but now am going to have to for a comparison. I would expect it to be up there at the top.

I don't think in this case the pitch of the wingbone had any thing to do with it, more that it is directional in it's sound. I think either Mark P. or Kerry T. on the Dave Owens video said a trumpet is directional like a turkey choke, pot and box calls send sound spread out like an open choke.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2022, 12:49:22 PM »
Very interesting... keep the post coming ... thanks everyone...

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »
Very interesting... keep the post coming ... thanks everyone...

X2 great string

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 04:10:26 PM »
First load call is my Primos Heart Breaker Battleship boat paddle, Second, I have a Matt Van Cise Crystal Wenge with a Snakewood striker that can scream in the wind…. These 2 have proven them selves on very windy days…..

I can attest that Texas Rios can hear a Primos Battleship farther away than you can hear them gobble back to it.  And if you walk slow enough.........you'll kill most of them.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2022, 04:46:17 PM »

I can attest that Texas Rios can hear a Primos Battleship farther away than you can hear them gobble back to it.  And if you walk slow enough.........you'll kill most of them.    :icon_thumright:

You bet, most boat paddles can call loud but the Battleship screams. It can also call soft too. Good call…be well…
“Solo hunter”

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 05:57:19 PM »

You bet, most boat paddles can call loud but the Battleship screams. It can also call soft too. Good call…be well…

I liked the way the Battleship worked my first trip to Texas that I sent Steve Kimble some purpleheart and mahogany lumber to build me a couple matched sets for the next time I went there.

PA elitist since 1979