OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fort Jackson South Carolina

Started by Turkeystudent, February 03, 2022, 01:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeystudent

Hey fella turkey addicts, I am interested in knowing about hunting Fort Jackson in South Carolina. I am not asking for any spots or secretes. I am looking for general info...is there a good population of birds, how heavy is it hunted, general success  (at least of hearing gobbling turkeys), what it's like to hunt a military base, is it good habitat, etc.. I would appreciate any insight you guys can give me.
Thanks!

BBURN

Unfortunately, I've never hunted on Ft Jackson but I did go thru the motions back in 2016 when I moved back to SC.  At that time, there was a good population of both turkey and deer however there was a major concern with the coyote population and most everyone could see that they were putting a hurting on both turkeys and deer.  You'll have to register your gun with security and get a special pass to hunt through MWR but that is no big deal.  In order to hunt or scout, you have to check in and out of specific areas.  I think you can now do that with an online app or a specific website, but if so that is a change from when I was thinking about hunting on base.  Back then you had to check in at the Game Wardens building next to Lake Heises off of Semmes Rd.  It was a pain because it is a good ways to where most hunting is done and ultimately too time consuming for me especially considering other time constraints and whatnot.  I did scout, can't remember which areas though, but I did see and hear turkeys and found some nice spots.  My only problem was the amount of time it took checking and out when knowing you would have to move on the turkeys.  The new app may help tremendously if it can be used on the fly so to speak.  I ended up putting all my efforts to hunting other public lands because there is so much of it and I can hunt at my leisure without the guidelines inherent to hunting military installations.  I do recommend that you check it out because I'm sure there is good hunting somewhere on base, especially if you have the time to learn the different areas. 

Turkeystudent