OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

LOUDEST OWL HOOTER!!

Started by spurz, February 21, 2011, 05:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drum817

Quote from: t_eagen13 on February 26, 2011, 11:05:00 AM
Quote from: drum817 on February 25, 2011, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 25, 2011, 01:18:31 PM
I blow owl calls and owls show up.  I blow crow calls and crows show up.  Not going to blow coyote call cause I don't want them to show up and mess up my hunt.  Haven't tried a peacock call.  Is it legal to shoot a peacock?  :begging:

Don't see why not......wonder how it would taste ?  :boon:

You've never had fried peacock?!?!  :goofball:

not yet  :TooFunny: ....but I'll try about anything once  :smiley-char092:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

lightsoutcalls

You may think I'm crazy for saying this, but I saw a peacock on a firebreak on a local military base last fall.  The base is near some houses and a trailer park in a rural setting.  Although I don't know personally of anyone in this area that has peacocks (about 5 miles from my house), I do know that a family about 3 blocks from me had peacocks years ago.  You have to know I did a second take as I was driving down the highway and saw a peacock walking along the woodline in the dirt firebreak... just wasn't natural... and no, I wasn't on any hallucinogenic substances... just fluffy coffee.  :)
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Skeeterbait

I have eaten guinea before.  Not too bad.  First time I saw an emu in Alabama I bout ran off the road.  Didn't know what I was looking at back then.  Thought it might be some kind of brown ostrich. Now they are fairly common in some areas.  Wish I could cross them with turkeys.  80 pound turkeys... now there's a thought.

Basser69

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 28, 2011, 04:22:11 PM
I have eaten guinea before.  Not too bad.  First time I saw an emu in Alabama I bout ran off the road.  Didn't know what I was looking at back then.  Thought it might be some kind of brown ostrich. Now they are fairly common in some areas.  Wish I could cross them with turkeys.  80 pound turkeys... now there's a thought.

Now that is what I would sure enough call a thunder chicken!

bnew17

Quote from: beardcollector on February 24, 2011, 07:40:20 PM
Palmer's Hoot tube is the loudest one I've ever blown. But I use a coyote howler if I truely want to find distant birds. The whole idea of a locator is to find them, realism isn't too imporant IMO. Don't get me wrong its still imporant, but its not on top of my list.

I have a palmers as well, i will give it away to anybody who wants it for free!! haha, seriously my Harrisons sounds night and day better than that piece!! as far as the coyote howler...im interested if you have much luck killing a turkey after using it? since the coyote is the #1 predator of turkeys i dont see why you would want a turkey to think a coyote is in the area?

mightyjoeyoung

The best sounding and loudest locator call I ever used is the old Lohman barred owl call.  I still have it and would love to find another.  Wish they still made it but like most things they (Lohman) made that worked those idiots decided to discontinue it.  When nothing else will shock em that sucker will.  We have tons of crows up here and the turkey almost seem desensitized to their calls.  In fact in 28 years I have never once gotten a shock gobble to a crow call.  With VERY FEW barred owls around, it really is a great call to locate birds on the roost.  I've even had themshock gobble to it after they hit the ground.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ctwny1

Use an Elk bugle...works like a champ.

Huntdux

Where does one find a Harrison that's not osage or plastic?  Can't seem to find one for sale!  What's the next best reed style?

drenalinld

I have the most luck with Primos' hoot tube for getting a gobbler to respond here in AR. It definitely does not sound like an owl, but they answer it pretty well. I attribute it to the high pitch? I have several hooters that sound really good, but the turkeys never gobble at them?

I still prefer to let them gobble on their own.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Huntdux on May 26, 2011, 01:28:30 PM
Where does one find a Harrison that's not osage or plastic?  Can't seem to find one for sale!  What's the next best reed style?

Contact Hooks and ask for James Harrison's contact info.  I know he turns them in other woods and does some custom calls for individuals.  You won't be sorry!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

3inchstrutbuster

X2 on that lohman it is the best hooter i have ever owned

Huntdux

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 27, 2011, 11:25:06 AM
Quote from: Huntdux on May 26, 2011, 01:28:30 PM

Contact Hooks and ask for James Harrison's contact info.  I know he turns them in other woods and does some custom calls for individuals.  You won't be sorry!

Thanks a lot for the info!  Btw I bought one of your calls to give as a gift and it sounded great!