OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg SA410 vs Tristar Viper G2  (Read 2980 times)

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
Mossberg SA410 vs Tristar Viper G2
« on: March 22, 2022, 08:46:53 PM »
Had to send my Stevens back today for warranty repair (cracked barrel), and I don't think I'm going to get it back in time for turkey season, so I'm considering the Mossberg SA 410 or the Tristar Viper G2 410.
Both are stocked locally, although at different stores.   

Mossberg is $650, but I have $100 in Cabelas points bringing it to $550
Tristar is $629

Any thoughts on either?  How are the triggers?  Pro's? Cons?  Anyone patterned with the factory chokes in either?

Online BennieGobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Mossberg SA410 vs Tristar Viper G2
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 08:49:55 PM »
Trigger is super hard in Tristar.  I got a guy that can make it super nice tho.  Mine went from 7lbs to 3lbs and crisp and smooth now.  It shoots good. I have some choked moms you can try.  I went with Sumtoy and my loads. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline R.W. Mackey

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 10:32:30 PM »

I’ve got the SA 410, haven’t hunted with it yet but it’s sighted in and ready to go. I really like it
Think you would too. Went with IC 385 and Foxtrot 9.5’s pretty good combo in that gun.

RW
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 03:32:01 PM »
I went with the Mossberg and so far am very pleased.  Got an IC 385 today from a good buddy, and am sighted in and ready to go.  Other than a little bit of creep in the trigger, I'm really liking it a lot so far.
I think the TriStar has better features with the pistol grip and 24" barrel, but I heard enough about the heavy trigger that I just decided to go with the Mossberg.   If I had more time and money, I probably would have gone with the TriStar and gotten a trigger job done, but youth weekend is next weekend and my daughter needs a gun after the nonsense with the Stevens 301 and having to send it back.

Offline squirrel_hunter

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 05:09:21 AM »
I bought a Mossberg SA 410ga TSS turkey gun also. I looked around for a Tristar.  But everything was sold out. This was several months ago.  I went to bass pro to look at the mossberg. They only had 1 in stock. It ended up going home with me. I ended up buying the mossberg SA 410ga.  Because it matchs my mossberg 500 410 TSS turkey gun.  Indian Creek
.385 choke . Ninja TSS 9.5 shot loads. If u want to get flush chokes for the Mossberg SA. Look up Hatfield shotgun company.  I bought 5 chokes a wrench and choke box for 40.00 shipped to me. Alot cheaper than buying beretta 410 chokes at 40.00 each.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 12:34:43 AM »
I went with the Mossberg and so far am very pleased.  Got an IC 385 today from a good buddy, and am sighted in and ready to go.  Other than a little bit of creep in the trigger, I'm really liking it a lot so far.
I think the TriStar has better features with the pistol grip and 24" barrel, but I heard enough about the heavy trigger that I just decided to go with the Mossberg.   If I had more time and money, I probably would have gone with the TriStar and gotten a trigger job done, but youth weekend is next weekend and my daughter needs a gun after the nonsense with the Stevens 301 and having to send it back.

So anyone looking knows, the stiff trigger on TriStar can be solved with replacement springs (trigger and hammer if I recall correctly but could be only trigger spring).
You can get them at Taran Tactical or M-Carbo.
You use the Mossberg SA-20 springs.
Takes about 15 mins. to replace if you’re slow. M-Carbo has a vid. on how to do it. It’s easy.