OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Stabilizing Blanks ?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline GunRunner

Stabilizing Blanks ?
« on: January 22, 2022, 04:19:45 PM »

I am curious as to what is involved or meant by “stabilizing” blanks for making calls. I have seen references to this process in several forum discussions.
Can someone explain this process and when it is used?

Thanks,

GunRunner
  :turkey:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Stabilizing Blanks ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 08:05:49 AM »
I have a VERY elementary understanding of this, but and I am hoping others will fill in the blanks and politely correct me if I make a mistake here which is quite likely.

So from videos I have seen there is a long vertical tube that the the say pot calls after being spun on a lathe will go into, (I have only ever seen it done with a round tube, that is why I assume it has already been worked on to some point on a lathe) a liquid of some sort is added that will harden the wood by being forced into the wood via pressure. I view it as a kind of a pressure cooker, kind of.

Anyway in some cases the maker may also add some die or color to change or accentuate the color of the wood. This is as I understand it forced into the wood, thus making it much more dense and less porous thus making it waterproof.

Again There are those that can answer better than I can, I just thought I would give a very basic idea as I understand it, others will come along and tell you far better than I can.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline vthokie7227

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 04:42:00 PM »
Sir-diealot has outlined it pretty well. Stabilizing is basically a process to make normally unsuitable wood for turning or building into something that can be used through injecting resin into the wood under a vacuum. If you have a wood stabilizing kit (essentially a pressure cooker with a vacuum pump), you can do this yourself, or you could by pre-stabilized blanks. After the wood has been impregnated with resin, it is cured. Once cured, the wood blank is then safe and suitable for turning. If you're interested, here's a good overview... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2jEdjYEd1M

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 10:07:30 PM »
Lots of time and money goes into it normally it takes 2 days get wood to zero moisture and then day or 2 of constant vacuum to get all air from wood  then it got sit in resin 2 or 3 days sometimes a week  then the  resin is ruffly $100 a gallon and as pot blanks go depending on how soft or hard the wood is before stabilizing can get 10 to 20 blanks a gallon   

little better vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7EoPC1Nlb4
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline GunRunner

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 04:02:32 PM »

Got it……thanks guys !

The videos were really interesting and helpful as well.

GunRunner
  :turkey:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 07:02:09 AM »
I could not find this video when I first replied, but I stumbled upon it in one of my lists a few seconds ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxtHxfqbeQ&list=WL&index=113&t=232s
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."