OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotional Saturday June 4, 2011 "So You Think You Are Better Than Me?

Started by mmims, June 03, 2011, 10:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmims

Romans 12:3 "For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith."

Did you know there is a web site, I am betterthanyou.com, that teaches people how to make themselves "be" better than others? UNBELIEVABLE!

As I was growing up, my father hammered these words in my head..."remember, you are no better than anyone and no-one is any better than you!" Simply, remember who you are. He was constantly saying what separates people is their actions. HOW TRUE!

Jesus' most scathing rebukes are reserved for those who are outwardly very religiously, but who are arrogant, self-righteous, and feel superior to everyone else. Once again, Jesus illustrates his point with a story (The Pharisee's)so his disciples will not only know the truth of his message, but so they also can visualize what this religious arrogance looks like and can remember to avoid it in their own lives. We should look at ourselves and ask, "What is the basis of our confidence?" Is it in comparing ourselves to others? Is it in our own works of righteousness? Or is it in God's grace and mercy shown us in Jesus?

The real truth is that a TRUE sign of Christian maturity is humility! Humility in service. If we act like a Pharisee then what does this do to our witness?

My first bible verses I memorized was Matthew 5:13-16
"13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Take a look in the mirror, WHAT DOES CHRIST SEE? HUMILITY...."Well done my good and faithful servant"? or HAUGHTY... "Depart from me, I never knew you"!

Bro. Mike

Duke0002

Thanks, Mike.  Self-centeredness has all sorts of sinful consequences.  Great reminder.

BOFF

Well written and so applicable.

Service without the humility, isn't service for our Lord and Savior Jesus.

God Bless,
David B.

Beretta686

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Roostem33

Thats good stuff Mike, and something we should all remember!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)