turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jake or Tom Decoy? Hung up Gobblers

Started by NE Gobblers, January 19, 2022, 01:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE Gobblers

I hunt SE Nebraska, and opening day of bow season last year I called in 2 toms using a jake and a hen decoy, and shot one of them. I went the rest of the year using the same decoy set up (throwing in a tom decoy for the jake as well) and never shot another bird. There was at least 7-8 times where I called in toms, and they would get a glimpse of the decoy and stop gobbling and hung up on me every single time. This was between 3 different properties I hunt. I have done some reading on some reasons why this would happen, but I would love to hear other's input on a hung up tom hunting with a jake decoy.

avidnwoutdoorsman

Your gonna hopefully get a lot of responses with varying results so I'll through in my two cents.

Some context is missing...mainly how far apart were each of these encounters calendar days wise? Doesn't really matter but curious I suppose, though could add some details.

I have killed a tom with a tom/strutter decoy from youth season to end of season... that's first weekend of April to the end of May in Washington. I have done the same with a jake decoy, a hen decoy, no decoy.

General rule of thumbs or how some would say to play it safe?
Earlier in the season birds can still be looking to scrap it out. Using a tom/strutting decoy the first week - two weeks of the season generally will work out... I have found that you will get a lot of bachelor parties of jakes more willing to tustle but most everyone is still in the mood to get down. I will even put a strutting tom out with a jake closer to a lay down hen or the hen(s). Really gets them confused. If a jake is closer to the hen and a tom is standing off to the jake for that hen maybe I have a shot to steal the lady from both of them; is what I think I making the tom think.

Mid season.... I would lean more to a tom/strutting decoy if I was going to throw a male decoy out. Why? Toms as eluded to above have often been ganged up on by a group of jakes. So even a single jake decoy could mean trouble for them. They dont know if the rest of his buddies aren't out of site. So for me, its mono y mono if a tom sees a tom. Though at this point I might start thinking about putting the male decoys away and running two hens or a single hen decoy.

Late season.... do you.... Its an either or game at this point. Depending on the season and where the birds are in the game it varies with the above but by this point most the hens that are bred are sitting on a nest. The boys in lots of instances have already started to group back up. So if you have to run a tom or a jake pick one and roll with it but definitely run a single hen. At this point if the bird still has fight left in him he's gonna come into almost whatever. MORE likely though he is over it and looking for something easy. SO I would say put them both away and run a single hen decoy.

Are you trying to kill a bird or see the show? That will tell you what to try or not try above.

Get some 12# mono and tie/tape it to your decoy..... a little movement to the decoy goes a long long ways.

If running a strutter bigger doesnt mean better.... I ran a hen fan on my decoy for a long time to make my jake strutter look as small as possible. Something else to try.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Tom007

Heres what I can say from experience using decoys. I only use them a few times per season. I hunt power and gas lines in a few of my spots. This is where I have great success with a Jake and hen Photoform decoys from Primos. I always set the Jake behind the hen, maybe 8 -10 yards. I have had the Tom's break from a hen to come into this setup. Rainy conditions is perfect for this, the Tom's are using the open areas when it rains. I've never had one hang up, they see it and commit. When running and gunning in the Big Woods, I use them sometimes, but circumstance have to be right. They are a great tool for an exiting hunt. Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

NE Gobblers

Quote from: avidnwoutdoorsman on January 20, 2022, 02:48:50 AM
Your gonna hopefully get a lot of responses with varying results so I'll through in my two cents.

Some context is missing...mainly how far apart were each of these encounters calendar days wise? Doesn't really matter but curious I suppose, though could add some details.

I have killed a tom with a tom/strutter decoy from youth season to end of season... that's first weekend of April to the end of May in Washington. I have done the same with a jake decoy, a hen decoy, no decoy.

General rule of thumbs or how some would say to play it safe?
Earlier in the season birds can still be looking to scrap it out. Using a tom/strutting decoy the first week - two weeks of the season generally will work out... I have found that you will get a lot of bachelor parties of jakes more willing to tustle but most everyone is still in the mood to get down. I will even put a strutting tom out with a jake closer to a lay down hen or the hen(s). Really gets them confused. If a jake is closer to the hen and a tom is standing off to the jake for that hen maybe I have a shot to steal the lady from both of them; is what I think I making the tom think.

Mid season.... I would lean more to a tom/strutting decoy if I was going to throw a male decoy out. Why? Toms as eluded to above have often been ganged up on by a group of jakes. So even a single jake decoy could mean trouble for them. They dont know if the rest of his buddies aren't out of site. So for me, its mono y mono if a tom sees a tom. Though at this point I might start thinking about putting the male decoys away and running two hens or a single hen decoy.

Late season.... do you.... Its an either or game at this point. Depending on the season and where the birds are in the game it varies with the above but by this point most the hens that are bred are sitting on a nest. The boys in lots of instances have already started to group back up. So if you have to run a tom or a jake pick one and roll with it but definitely run a single hen. At this point if the bird still has fight left in him he's gonna come into almost whatever. MORE likely though he is over it and looking for something easy. SO I would say put them both away and run a single hen decoy.

Are you trying to kill a bird or see the show? That will tell you what to try or not try above.

Get some 12# mono and tie/tape it to your decoy..... a little movement to the decoy goes a long long ways.

If running a strutter bigger doesnt mean better.... I ran a hen fan on my decoy for a long time to make my jake strutter look as small as possible. Something else to try.

Early season in Nebraska is the last week in March. It happened to me the most times in April, and a few times in May. I switched it up quite often whether it was a jake or tom decoy, all of which setups had hen decoys as well. Several instances I felt like the tom that came in wasn't the dominant one in the area, or had fought with a jake previously. Most of the times the toms came fired up and when they saw the male decoy, they wouldn't gobble for quite some time. Thanks for the input.

TRG3

While I've had success with strutter and jake decoys at any point in the season, it seems like the peck order status of the gobbler being working may be more of a factor than the decoy(s) being used. That being said, I've had more gobblers shy away from a strutter than a jake, utilizing both in conjunction with a hen in the breeding position. My most consistent success in the Illinois' 5th season has come with a strutter and a Primos gobble tube. It seems that any late season tom still looking to breed is not tolerant of another bird in their territory looking to do the same and will usually throw caution to the wind, coming in to do battle!

MK M GOBL

There's a lot to hunting decoys right, and understanding turkey biology, the social structure and more go into this. I have a set of "Rules" I go by and have had great success!

I have a post on some this here: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,97076.msg955299.html#msg955299

or just search White Headed Strutter. I hunt a Jake decoy too (All DSD's for me)

The Dominance Game is another topic, and what to look for here's that link. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL

RustyBarrels

My 2 closest hunting companions wouldn't be caught without a  decoy. Just because of their success, I've tried every combo possible for decoys.
To this day I've never bagged a bird with decoys. If anything my hunts are less "stressful" without trying to replicate a scenario. Even ditched wearing a vest, and I feel free.
  If you are consistently unsuccessful, then maybe consider ditching the deeks. A slight topographical nook and cranny may be worth its salt vs a well placed decoy spread. So if it ain't working for ya, remember that stealth is the hallmark of predator species  :z-twocents:

silvestris

I can't believe that people are still wasting brain cells on this question.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gooserbat

All depends on how much you want to pack around.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRG3

My best decoy is the Funky Chicken. I've never had a tom be intimidated by it. Just this morning, I set him up over a hen in the breeding position accompanied by a feeding hen. I used my Primos gobble tube to respond to real birds on the roost along with an aluminum pot call. After fly down, it took about 5 minutes for the real hens to bring in four toms and I took one. While I may hunt the same spot several times, I never bring the same decoys or use the same hen calls. I'm not sure if turkeys remember the decoys or calls from yesterday, but I feel better by changing them. By-the-way, yesterday's turkeys were all jakes and today's were a mix of mature toms and hens. I had to take the shot left-handed (I'm right handed), one of several that have happened over my years of hunting.

PNWturkey

Quote from: NE Gobblers on January 19, 2022, 01:34:20 PMThere was at least 7-8 times where I called in toms, and they would get a glimpse of the decoy and stop gobbling and hung up on me every single time.

Are you hunting wide open fields?  If you can set up in the timber, I would ditch the decoy.

My success rate is much better since I quit hunting with decoys many years ago...

falconiii

Marc

As a bow hunter, obviously decoys are a bit more helpful than to us (cheaters) with a shotgun. :P

When birds come into a strutter, they come in hard and fast...  There are also times when they see that strutter and run away just as hard and fast.

I feel that the quality of the jake decoy is far more important than the quality of the hen...  Too aggressive, or wrong colored head, and I have seen birds run from jake decoys.  And...  more so than hen decoys, they really seem to eyeball those jake decoys.

A jake and two hens would be my go-to were I bow hunting early season.  For whatever reason seems to work better than a jake and single hen.

Couple years back, I was trying to kill one with a pellet rifle (head-shot only).  I tried the Funky Chicken, and that thing worked throughout the season.  (Unfortunately, due to a number of technical issues, I was never able to make it happen).  Birds (jakes and toms) would come in to beat up on that guy all season.  I saw a couple birds shy away from it, but a far higher percentage came in to take a closer look or beat on it.  A few times, some jakes seemed genuinely curious, and would come up to it putting.

As a shotgun hunter, if I use a decoy late season, it is a hen decoy.  And generally only if I am hunting a more open area.  Sometimes it reduces the anxiety of that bird looking for a hen.  But, often that bird will stand out a ways and strutt.  Were I bow hunting (or hunting with the pellet rifle again), I think I would be apt to go with two hen decoys (with one being a feeder).

As a shotgun hunter, I have found that I am generally more successful if I forget the decoys, and put myself in a location, in which when the bird comes over the rise, he is in good range.  And making quick decisive changes if a bird is coming from the wrong (or unexpected direction) has proven fruitful.

I'll also say, that while there are times I will still use jake decoys, the way in which birds come into them (when they come), almost seems to take away the aspect of fair chase; only skill needed is to stick a plastic bird in the ground.  I would not cry about it at all if my state made it illegal to use jake or tom decoys.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bonasa

Hands down. If I were only going to carry only one decoy be it a hen, jake or tom with any pose. My pick would be a half strut jake.

Ohiowoodchuck

I'm my experience a full strut decoy only scares Tom's away. If I'm hunting field birds I'll use a breeder and a feeding hen. If I'm hunting the woods and I have a thought that he will be able to see my area for a ways, I'll use a upright hen. If it's thick or I'm using the terrain to my advantage. I don't use nothing. I let him come looking for me.