OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Found a Sought After Push Pin, Finally  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Found a Sought After Push Pin, Finally
« on: February 02, 2022, 02:49:12 PM »
I am a collector of Push Pins, I regularly hunt with them. Over the years I have collected quite a few. The one that has been alluding me is made by Lynch, the famous box call company. They made 2 models. One say’s “Lynch”on the paddle, the other one say’s “Wild Turkey”. The Wild Turkey one is the model 160. Most of the ones I come across are not in good shape. Finally, I landed a Model 160 for a good price that appears to be brand new. The striker has no marks on it. The body of the call appears to be cedar. It sounds fantastic. It’s a bit smaller than most push pins, I like it’s compactness. I am happy to add it to my collection, one day it will hit the field with me. I always carry 2 push pins in my vest. Be safe, thanks…
“Solo hunter”

Offline roosterstraw

Re: Found a Sought After Push Pin, Finally
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 03:02:18 PM »
Nice looking call! Do you keep them in any kind of case when you hunt or just a sock?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 03:12:52 PM »
I keep one in my North Mountain pullover chest pocket in a sock, the other in a box call holster. I also made a heavier sock out of a gun sock for my push-pins with the longer striker. This sock protects them well, fits in most large inside vest pockets, and in the pull-over chest pocket. Works great….
“Solo hunter”

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 06:21:40 PM »
Sent you a PM.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 06:28:01 PM »
Sent you a PM.

Thx…
“Solo hunter”

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 09:07:44 PM »
3 very nice push-pulls

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 09:55:52 PM »
Great find Tom.. congrats on the push pin ..

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 07:58:06 AM »
Great find Tom.. congrats on the push pin ..
3 very nice push-pulls

Thank you, I keep hunting and pecking for them. They pop up once and a while, have to be in right place at right time…be safe gents
“Solo hunter”

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 09:50:29 AM »
Congratulations, a good one.  There is a third Lynch pushpin variant, I don't know how to post pics here, but it says Lynch and has a picture of a strutting turkey on the paddle.  It is the most recent variant.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 10:54:29 AM »
Wow, love to see it….thanks…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline palongbeard

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 05:29:09 AM »
Good conversation on push pin calls - the Lynch is one I do not have.  I also collect em.  Have Shannon Kelley - Lapp - Payne - you name it.  I always carry 2 or 3 in woods and every bird I've killed has either been started or closed out with a push pin.  Carhartt makes a small padded camo zippered pouch I carry them in - keeps them protected.  My 2 cents on why gobblers respond - no 2 ever sound alike.  I do a lot of mixing and matching of the paddles and boxes and also make changes to striker pyramid.  Also prefer the piano wire calls - allows for bending and placement for different paddle pressures again to get the consistent sound you are looking for.  The 1 push pin that never leaves my side is one of the original Mountain Hollow calls.  I have a pile of the MH push pins in both oak and cedar. But that original one is just different.  Thanks for good topic - hope nobody minded me jumping in.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 07:14:04 AM »
Good conversation on push pin calls - the Lynch is one I do not have.  I also collect em.  Have Shannon Kelley - Lapp - Payne - you name it.  I always carry 2 or 3 in woods and every bird I've killed has either been started or closed out with a push pin.  Carhartt makes a small padded camo zippered pouch I carry them in - keeps them protected.  My 2 cents on why gobblers respond - no 2 ever sound alike.  I do a lot of mixing and matching of the paddles and boxes and also make changes to striker pyramid.  Also prefer the piano wire calls - allows for bending and placement for different paddle pressures again to get the consistent sound you are looking for.  The 1 push pin that never leaves my side is one of the original Mountain Hollow calls.  I have a pile of the MH push pins in both oak and cedar. But that original one is just different.  Thanks for good topic - hope nobody minded me jumping in.

Thanks for joining. Yes, you are into them like me. I too have a list like yours except for the Payne. Still trying for one of them. I always carry 2 myself, always a Shannon, sometimes 2 and I will add one of the others. Two of Shannon’s makes the best fighting purr out there. Push pins are really the “Odd ball Call” in our industry, I guess people think they are just for beginners. If you learn how to play them other than just “pushing the pin”, you see how versatile and deadly they really are. Here is the MH I have in cedar. Great sound, easily adjusted. Proper Tuning of any pushpin gets them sounding perfectly, it’s all in the spring tension. Good luck this year……
“Solo hunter”

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 04:15:31 PM »
I love me a good push-pull, sadly I had the Payne and one of Shannon's that both got traded, I still kick myself for that mistake, I aslo had a Primos spring hen that was a killer that I lost and you can see i have tried to find one to replace but none of these sound like the one i lost.

Offline palongbeard

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 06:21:33 AM »
Do some swapping on paddles on all those spring hens - also try turning striker pyramid a bit.  Biggest thing I found that changes sound is a small sanding block 120 grit and go over striker pyramid in one direction and try to keep consistent angle - makes a hell of a difference.  More surface contact between striker pyramid and paddle usually the answer along with nearly as much spring tension possible.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 07:41:18 AM »
Do some swapping on paddles on all those spring hens - also try turning striker pyramid a bit.  Biggest thing I found that changes sound is a small sanding block 120 grit and go over striker pyramid in one direction and try to keep consistent angle - makes a hell of a difference.  More surface contact between striker pyramid and paddle usually the answer along with nearly as much spring tension possible.
I love me a good push-pull, sadly I had the Payne and one of Shannon's that both got traded, I still kick myself for that mistake, I aslo had a Primos spring hen that was a killer that I lost and you can see i have tried to find one to replace but none of these sound like the one i lost.

Love it. Nice collection. I wish I could find a Payne. I am lucky enough to have Shanons. They sound better than anything in my collection. You have some good ones there, nice….
“Solo hunter”