OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Going mouth call only this year  (Read 2737 times)

Offline strum

Going mouth call only this year
« on: January 17, 2022, 09:57:44 PM »
 Im no master by any means but every year I buy one or two new calls.  I take box calls and slates of all kinds with me into the woods but I always end up with success using the diaphragms.  Maybe I just suck at using boxes and slates. I dont know but this year I'm not even fooling with anything but the mouth call.
Go with what you know mindset. All that said I did purchase a couple of new mouth calls to learn. How about you guys?

Offline zsully

Re: Going mouth call only this year
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 10:18:41 PM »
I’m a pot and peg guy through and through. I love them, I’m confident running one and I have had a fair amount of success with them. There is no doubt in my mind I could throw 2 pots and 3 strikers in my vest and kill birds. I just love to learn and try new things though. So my vest will have a mouth call or two, maybe a box and/or trumpet if I can gain enough confidence before the season. Worst case scenario I’ll have a variety of calls to play during the slow times.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 03:00:25 PM »
I run a mouth call 90% of the time but there is times when a Box, Pot, or Trumpet is what they want to hear and its the difference between calling in or not calling in a particular tom.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 07:09:53 PM »
I run a mouth call 90% of the time but there is times when a Box, Pot, or Trumpet is what they want to hear and its the difference between calling in or not calling in a particular tom.

100% agree

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 04:10:12 AM »
I was basically a straight mouth call guy for I bet over 25 years. Have some issues now that stops that but I believe mixing a couple call types up raises your odds.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »
I was basically a straight mouth call guy for I bet over 25 years. Have some issues now that stops that but I believe mixing a couple call types up raises your odds.

Same here.  Beginning in the 1980's, I pretty much used nothing but mouth calls.  Didn't even carry other types of calls while hunting.  More recently, I have started carrying a couple of pots and a few strikers for certain situations, but still use mouth calls almost exclusively.  I know the friction calls that are available nowadays have been perfected to the point where pretty much all of the turkey vocalizations can be reproduced very realistically (and pretty easily), but I just prefer the challenge of replicating all those sounds with a mouth call.  ...Just "anal" that way, I suppose...  ;D ;)

Offline strum

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 12:12:46 PM »

Same here.  Beginning in the 1980's, I pretty much used nothing but mouth calls.  Didn't even carry other types of calls while hunting.  More recently, I have started carrying a couple of pots and a few strikers for certain situations, but still use mouth calls almost exclusively.  I know the friction calls that are available nowadays have been perfected to the point where pretty much all of the turkey vocalizations can be reproduced very realistically (and pretty easily), but I just prefer the challenge of replicating all those sounds with a mouth call.  ...Just "anal" that way, I suppose...  ;D ;)

I have used or tried about every kind of friction call there is and have killed turkeys using them but my most success is mouth calls. I just have sooo much more confidence in my calling ability and I believe the mouth calls are by far (at least for me) the most realistic. To clarify im no champion caller .. In fact Im a pretty sorry caller as far as sound goes. I cant purr and Im limited to standard yelps, cluck, cuts.   But Ive learned the when and when not to call and I have a good feel on what Im saying when I say it. I like the under the breath calling when a smart ole tom is trying find me. Ill mess it up every time with a friction. But ive had some very close encounters using this method. 

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 12:48:29 PM »

I wish I could still use them. I thought about trying again as my conditions are getting better. It was nice to know nothing but a few light mouth calls.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 12:55:59 PM »

I have used or tried about every kind of friction call there is and have killed turkeys using them but my most success is mouth calls. I just have sooo much more confidence in my calling ability and I believe the mouth calls are by far (at least for me) the most realistic. To clarify im no champion caller .. In fact Im a pretty sorry caller as far as sound goes. I cant purr and Im limited to standard yelps, cluck, cuts.   But Ive learned the when and when not to call and I have a good feel on what Im saying when I say it. I like the under the breath calling when a smart ole tom is trying find me. Ill mess it up every time with a friction. But ive had some very close encounters using this method.
Oddly enough I can yelp and purr on a mouth call but can’t cluck and cut good enough to be satisfied with using clucks and cuts in the woods.  I can cluck, cut and purr with a pot call but my yelping isn’t great.  So I use my strengths with each call on hunts.  I don’t use any other calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 01:53:31 PM »
Ive learned the when (to call) and when not to call and I have a good feel on what Im saying when I say it.

When all is said and done, this is the most important aspect of calling with any type of instrument.  Learning what to say and when to say it (or not say anything at all, at times), in my opinion, is far more critical than the actual sound of the call (within reason, of course...ya' gotta make sounds that at least remotely sound like a turkey   ;D).  I am not certain if that knowledge falls under the category of "calling" versus "woodsmanship".  ...I'll leave that up for debate...   :) ;)

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 04:01:33 PM »
Very seldom ever use a month call, i do carry couple in the satchel somewhere, haven't seen them in long time. I will stick with boxes and pot calls myself...

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 05:32:13 PM »
I use a mouth call at least 90% of the time… probably more honestly. I can’t remember the last time I called a bird in using anything else though I will occasionally break out a crystal pot to try and locate birds. This year it will be mostly diaphragm calls and a yelper around my neck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 06:52:21 PM »
Mouth call and yelpR. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline spiggy2

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 07:08:29 PM »
I use a mouth call about 75% of the time when I'm hunting, but I do carry a pot call or two and a box. If it's windy, can't beat how loud a pot or box can get imo, but for the most part, I use a mouth call most of the time.
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline Kwgoke

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 01:20:04 PM »
In years past, I'd run a mouth call probably 90% of the time, even though I carry a box and 3-4 pot calls with me into the woods. My plan this year is to spend more time using my pots and scratch box in the field. Need to justify my drive to own all these other calls lol