OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What makes a TSS choke ?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline gotitbad

What makes a TSS choke ?
« on: January 17, 2022, 10:50:47 AM »
Hi, I'm  new to the forum but have been reading for a couple years now. I have an 870 Supermag I've been using for turkeys for many years now and I'm going to try Apex Tss #9 this year. Will it be ok to shoot Tss through my 15 year old Jelly head choke? I Also have a  Carlson turkey choke, it says on it for lead,steel and heavy shot. Will that be ok for Tss?

Thanks

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: What makes a TSS choke ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 11:40:22 AM »
Carlsons is quick to answer any questions about there chokes, below is the link to there website.

http://www.choketube.com/
info@choketube.com

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Ryanmc

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 07:37:09 PM »
It’s worth a phone call. They also respond quick to emails.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 01:42:17 PM »
Having the choke marked TSS approved or TSS safe is what makes a TSS Choke.  It's not that they are made any tougher or with any stronger steel than other chokes.  It's marketing to sell you more chokes. 

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 12:08:18 AM »
From what I understand it needs to be hardened enough to keep the threads from expanding and seizing into the barrel.  Otherwise not much difference.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 09:09:12 AM »
It's one you already chewed up with tss cuz it won't be the same for lead again.

That's a joke. The actual answer was already posted. Really though I'd you have a steel shot rated factory fill you probably won't want anything tighter unless you're crazy for pellet counts.

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 09:51:42 AM »
The way one choke patterns when new isn’t always the same as it patterns after shooting many rounds of TSS through it.