OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

kee kee on pot calss

Started by justjohn, June 03, 2011, 07:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justjohn

what have you found to be a good striker for kee kee on slate, glass and crystal? Saw a striker that the maker said was good for kee kee, it was made of TEAK. any coments on this? Thanks for any information.

John

jshively

Purpleheart works for me.  I grip it tight near the tip, then loosen up a bit for the run part of the ke kee run. 

fallhnt

I think if you move the striker from the side to the middle it will change the pitch to make a kee kee run.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

savduck

Depends on the call. A lot of calls arent worth a darn for Kee Kee ing. i find Crystal and Aluminum are the easiest. Ceramic can be done but harder. Hickory, purple heart, massacar ebony, cherry, walnut strikers all kee kee well.

you want to kee kee along the edge of the call. Instead of going down towards the center of a pot like a yelp go side way at the top. it takes more pressure too.
Georgia Boy

justjohn

thanks for the information will try anything.

Thanks Again

John

trkehunr93

The Jet Slate by Lynch calls is a good one for kee keeing.  I personally prefer using a single or double reed mouth call.  Much easier.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: trkehunr93 on June 22, 2011, 10:07:11 AMI personally prefer using a single or double reed mouth call.  Much easier.

Same here, I use a double reed myself.

Longbeardfever4ever

Any pot call worth its salt will kee kee... Grip the striker (i prefer a harder wood) near the tip, and grip it tight. Run the striker back and forth with heavy pressure right above the sweet circle on your call.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

TRKYHTR

Any of the real hard woods will kee kee. My favorite striker for kee keeing is an osage striker. Your going to have a hard time making a slate call kee kee but it can be done. Glass, crystal and my favorite aluminum are the easiest. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkeykiller

And old HS Strut Magic Wand is great for keekee

boatpaddle

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Boilermaker

Has anyone used or seen the Woodhaven Kee Disc?  I just found this call the other night on Woodhaven's web page and it seems interesting.  I wonder if it's worth the price?

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Boilermaker on October 09, 2014, 12:20:09 PM
Has anyone used or seen the Woodhaven Kee Disc?  I just found this call the other night on Woodhaven's web page and it seems interesting.  I wonder if it's worth the price?

It's the best sounding Kee Kee pot call made. IMO

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Boilermaker

Quote from: TRKYHTR on October 10, 2014, 12:11:33 AM
Quote from: Boilermaker on October 09, 2014, 12:20:09 PM

It's the best sounding Kee Kee pot call made. IMO

Joe

Good to know.  Thank you for the information.  I may just put an order in for one.  I'm sure it is much easier and just as effective to learn how to kee kee with a mouth call but I enjoy using the pot calls and can play them much better than I can a diaphragm.  I've had good experiences with woodhaven friction calls in the past.