OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call Variety

Started by RLAG, January 16, 2022, 09:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 17, 2022, 06:37:00 PM
Quote from: EZ on January 17, 2022, 01:59:20 PM
Quote from: RLAG on January 17, 2022, 10:02:04 AM
Have you had situations where one type of yelper wasn't doing it, you switched to a different one (wingbone to cane for example) and that created an opportunity? Essentially switching calls within the same yelper category to find success?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not really, but I have had times when NOTHING was happening with ANY call and I took whatever yelper I had around my neck at the time and started long pleading strings of kee-kee runs, getting louder with each series and started a gobble fest.
If you don't take this tiny tidbit of advice and store it away you probably shouldn't be reading Old Gobbler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This will be my 21st year turkey hunting but I just started running a yelper a couple seasons ago. I can yelp with the best of them but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to keep kee on one. Any advice?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on January 27, 2022, 07:07:04 AM
Have you had situations where one type of yelper wasn't doing it, you switched to a different one (wingbone to cane for example) and that created an opportunity? Essentially switching calls within the same yelper category to find success?

Not really, but I have had times when NOTHING was happening with ANY call and I took whatever yelper I had around my neck at the time and started long pleading strings of kee-kee runs, getting louder with each series and started a gobble fest.
If you don't take this tiny tidbit of advice and store it away you probably shouldn't be reading Old Gobbler.

This will be my 21st year turkey hunting but I just started running a yelper a couple seasons ago. I can yelp with the best of them but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to keep kee on one. Any advice?

Choke down the call and increase lip pressure. Once you get to where you can do it you can usually just do it with lip pressure, but in the beginning choking the call down to where it's almost closed off makes it a lot easier to kee.

wchadw

i had same problem.  i finally saw something that helped me.  i push the trumpet up where he mouthpiece presses into my bottom lip a little and close lips down a little and then pull a little harder in.  just like yelpinig takes a little experimenting and practice.  i still can't get it consistently

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 27, 2022, 07:23:55 AM

Choke down the call and increase lip pressure. Once you get to where you can do it you can usually just do it with lip pressure, but in the beginning choking the call down to where it's almost closed off makes it a lot easier to kee.

I appreciate it!. I got it to work doing exactly what you said.