turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call Variety

Started by RLAG, January 16, 2022, 09:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

From January to the first part of April, I break out ALL my calls and practice religiously.  When April rolls around, I normally have 1 box, 4 or 5 pots with 6 different strikers and 4 or 5 mouth calls that I feel really confident in.  When I hit the woods, each one will get their opportunity to shine.  If I can't get a gobbler to respond or come to the call, on a given hunt, I switch it up.  I believe in letting the bird or birds tell me what they want to hear and respond to on any given day.  Confidence in a particular call is Great but if the birds won't respond or come to you, you have 2 options, change calls and/or put some boots on the ground.     

Tom007

Quote from: EZ on January 17, 2022, 01:59:20 PM
Quote from: RLAG on January 17, 2022, 10:02:04 AM
Have you had situations where one type of yelper wasn't doing it, you switched to a different one (wingbone to cane for example) and that created an opportunity? Essentially switching calls within the same yelper category to find success?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not really, but I have had times when NOTHING was happening with ANY call and I took whatever yelper I had around my neck at the time and started long pleading strings of kee-kee runs, getting louder with each series and started a gobble fest.

EZ, I need advice on my beautiful wing bone. Need to learn how to make it sing......
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Have you had situations where one type of yelper wasn't doing it, you switched to a different one (wingbone to cane for example) and that created an opportunity? Essentially switching calls within the same yelper category to find success?

Not really, but I have had times when NOTHING was happening with ANY call and I took whatever yelper I had around my neck at the time and started long pleading strings of kee-kee runs, getting louder with each series and started a gobble fest.
If you don't take this tiny tidbit of advice and store it away you probably shouldn't be reading Old Gobbler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 17, 2022, 06:37:00 PM

If you don't take this tiny tidbit of advice and store it away you probably shouldn't be reading Old Gobbler.

I'll definitely have to try this. I hunt on private land and I have had times where I wouldn't get a response from any calling and would shake a gobble tube a few times and get some action
Also works with fighting purrs in early part of season

turkeyfool

I always carry my little aluminum call for this exact reason. It's just so different than my other pots that it'll occasionally get a gobble from a bird who's already heard a mouth call and a crystal/glass and hasn't said a peep

EZ

Quote from: Tom007 on January 17, 2022, 05:51:44 PM

EZ, I need advice on my beautiful wing one. Need to learn how to make it sing......

Give me a call.

packmule

Quote from: paboxcall on January 17, 2022, 12:23:26 PM
Long, long time ago my vest was Noah's ark, two of everything. That vest was as heavy as the ark. And hot, too.

20+ years back I learned two things. As EZ said, yelpers can be a game changer.  And there's nothing a vest full of calls can do that one long box can't.

These days its a minimalist vest, for sentimental reasons I tote two pots I built, and a mouth call or two. But 95% of my season is a quality yelper and the long box.

Quiet mornings I will run the pots, or switch out the long box for a mini boat or a misfit. But I've found if they don't hit the long box or trumpet or EZ's wing bone, they're just not talkative today.

I've never seen a more accurate post on Old Gobbler.  Well said paboxcall.

zelmo1

I am going lighter and lighter as I get older, lol. I carry 3 mouth calls, a box call and 2 pot calls with 3 strikers and a gobble call. Most are in my Glenda's satchel with a minimal amount in my vest. I will never lug a 12 ga 3.5" in the woods again. Down to a 28 now with a bunch of 20 as backups. Good luck to all and God Bless. Al Baker

Kygobblergetter

I've been going lighter and lighter lately. 99% of my calling is done with a mouth call. I do usually carry 1 pot call and a gobble call. This year I'll be adding a yelper around my neck as well. It seems I get as good of results with a ghost cut mouth call as any other call I ever use. I am excited to start hunting with yelpers though

ferocious calls

If I'm going to wear a vest it will hold several different calls. The short box gets the most play. If that's not cutting it an EZ wingbone may. I like all of the calls slate, glass, aluminum, copper and diaphragms. Good to have the one he wants to hear with us.

Nathan_Wiles

I'll carry 4-5 mouth calls, 2 pot calls aluminum, and ceramic 2 sider w/ 4-5 strikers, a short box, a tube call and a trumpet. Goose, Wood duck, woodpecker and crow locator calls.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Crghss

My vest holds 4 pots so that's what I carry, plus 4 strikers. I like rotating through different pots. Weather plays a factor.

But also carry regular & long box.

Last turkey I harvested I used a box to locate him and get him close. Used pot to close the deal.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Yoder409

I hunt with a small belt pack.  So what doesn't fit.......doesn't go.  Over the years, I've run into some birds that would work to one call in my "arsenal" but not another.  Those birds have been few and far between.  Over 90% of my calling is with a diaphragm.  I carry 2 Gooserbat calls (both the same model....one I'm using and one spare if something happens to the first).  5% is a box.  Some days I carry a short box.  Some days a paddle caller.  Just whichever floats my boat that day.  And 5% is a slate over glass that I built.  It seems that on the odd occasion I do run into a tight-lipped gobbler, that pot call will make him go.  In my experiences, I believe it's way more about whether he wants to gobble or not, AT ALL, and way less about what he wants to gobble AT.     
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Meleagris gallopavo

I carry 3 pot calls, about 5-6 strikers and about 3 mouth calls.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Beards and Hooks

For me it's typically 4-6 pots, about 8 strikers, 2 short boxes and 2 scratchers. Not that I get to them all Everytime out but like having the choices.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk