OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call Variety  (Read 4645 times)

Offline RLAG

Call Variety
« on: January 16, 2022, 09:33:01 PM »
Instead of this being a standard "what calls are you taking into the woods" thread, I'm more interested in how much weight people put into call variety. We've all been there and had a bird that wants a specific type of call that morning and unless you played that box or whatever else for him, he isn't making a peep.

I know there are guys out there that carry 5 pots and 9 strikers into the woods to mix and match combinations for different sounds but it seems to be like that would be a hindrance to not have other types. While a striker change definitely changes the sound of that call, it wouldn't be as drastic of a change as changing to a diaphragm or tube or whatever.

How much weight do y'all place on having 1-2 calls(that you have complete confidence in) of a lot of different categories of calls vs the same category of call in a different wood or surface? For example, does it make sense to carry a couple mouth calls, box, couple pots, trumpet, scratch box and tube (with the assumption that you put enough hours onto practicing with each to sound solid on all) because they're all a different categories of calls or have y'all found that having a clean vs raspy short box for example has been enough of a change in those situations?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Call Variety
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 09:48:15 PM »
I always carry two pots with four or five strikers, a yelper, a mouth call, and a crow call. As season progresses I’ll occasionally throw one more pot in the mix, usually something with a very different sound, so maybe something like brass over glass with a carbon striker. All that goes in an HS Strut chest rig I’ve outfitted to a backpack. I change calls out through the season but that’s the typical daily lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 06:56:45 AM »
Great thread. I carry a slate pot, raw aluminum pot, 3 strikers, and 2 pushpins. The pushpins are two different wood types that produce very different call tones. Lastly, I carry 2 mouth calls, one very raspy and one very clean. I will change a bit if it’s really windy by adding a glass/crystal pot and sometimes a boat paddle. One thing I am hard set on is if I tangle with a gobbler that just won’t commit on a particular morning, I come back the next day with a totally different Arsenal and approach. It will be different striker/pot combo’s, different pushpin and different mouth calls. This usually works, I feel that giving him a dose of the same thing 2 days in a row is not good. This is usually my game plan throughout the season…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 07:15:45 AM »
Great thread. I carry a slate pot, raw aluminum pot, 3 strikers, and 2 pushpins. The pushpins are two different wood types that produce very different call tones. Lastly, I carry 2 mouth calls, one very raspy and one very clean. I will change a bit if it’s really windy by adding a glass/crystal pot and sometimes a boat paddle. One thing I am hard set on is if I tangle with a gobbler that just won’t commit on a particular morning, I come back the next day with a totally different Arsenal and approach. It will be different striker/pot combo’s, different pushpin and different mouth calls. This usually works, I feel that giving him a dose of the same thing 2 days in a row is not good. This is usually my game plan throughout the season…..

If you don't carry that wingbone you're missing out!!! LOL!!!

It's always good, IMHO, to have several different sounding calls. It's funny how sometimes it's that ONE pitch he wants to hear.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 07:19:32 AM »

You know I forgot that beauty, I am still trying to get it to sound perfect. My wife told me to leave it in my display case, she said it’s too nice to take out. It will be out there this spring, but I have work to do with it…..

It's always good, IMHO, to have several different sounding calls. It's funny how sometimes it's that ONE pitch he wants to hear.
“Solo hunter”

Offline RLAG

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 07:59:12 AM »

Ez, I know your opinion might be a little biased but what is your opinion about carrying a wingbone and a trumpet vs one or the other? Just whatever you can run best?

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:19:17 AM »

Ez, I know your opinion might be a little biased but what is your opinion about carrying a wingbone and a trumpet vs one or the other? Just whatever you can run best?

I will first say that I love and hunt with all kinds of turkey calls. Whatever he likes is what he gonna hear right up to the gun.

I am (admittedly) a little biased to yelpers in general. I'll put wingbones, cane yelpers and trumpets in the same "yelpers" category (I love them all). My bias comes honestly though.....after seeing a yelper completely change the game, time after time after time.

Getting back to the heart of the subject, I believe it's absolutely a good idea to have several different pitches and sounds of calls in your vest.....however you decide to do that.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 09:48:41 AM »
Mouth calls: 85% of the time. Usually carry 3, and I just can make the most sounds with the most realism with them so that's usually what I run.

Pots: 10% of the time. Always 2 Pots, a Mahoe crystal and a Walnut green slate. Usually for when the birds are quiet and I'm sick of having a call in my mouth. 3 strikers that I rotate.

Box: 5% One box for each hunt. Specifically if it's windy or I find myself in a situation where I need to gobble at them. I really like my boxes but just don't use them probably as much as I should.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 09:58:54 AM »
I’ll add that I think anyone who doesn’t practice and put themself in a position to run two calls at once is limiting themself greatly, whether that be a mouth call and a pot, a mouth call and a box, a yelper and a pot, two pushpins, whatever. Personally I love a trumpet and a pot simultaneous, a mouth call and a pot if more volume is needed. I can’t count the number of times creating the illusion of two hens got a gobbler to commit that was hung up, slow to trot, or unresponsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RLAG

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 10:02:04 AM »

I will first say that I love and hunt with all kinds of turkey calls. Whatever he likes is what he gonna hear right up to the gun.

I am (admittedly) a little biased to yelpers in general. I'll put wingbones, cane yelpers and trumpets in the same "yelpers" category (I love them all). My bias comes honestly though.....after seeing a yelper completely change the game, time after time after time.

Getting back to the heart of the subject, I believe it's absolutely a good idea to have several different pitches and sounds of calls in your vest.....however you decide to do that.
Have you had situations where one type of yelper wasn't doing it, you switched to a different one (wingbone to cane for example) and that created an opportunity? Essentially switching calls within the same yelper category to find success?

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 12:23:26 PM »
Long, long time ago my vest was Noah's ark, two of everything. That vest was as heavy as the ark. And hot, too.

20+ years back I learned two things. As EZ said, yelpers can be a game changer.  And there's nothing a vest full of calls can do that one long box can't.

These days its a minimalist vest, for sentimental reasons I tote two pots I built, and a mouth call or two. But 95% of my season is a quality yelper and the long box.

Quiet mornings I will run the pots, or switch out the long box for a mini boat or a misfit. But I've found if they don't hit the long box or trumpet or EZ's wing bone, they're just not talkative today.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 12:24:44 PM »
I carry my box, 2 pots (one slate, one glass/aluminum/ceramic), 4-6 strikers, a crow call, and maybe Roger Parks' Gobbler Pot if I want to try something different in the spring. I'll take a Scratch box with me every couple hunts too, but I don't use mouth callers very much. I've got a cane Jordan yelper on order that I'll keep around my neck when it comes in, but nothing else otherwise. That gives me 11-16 different tones counting the two sides of the box (makes a HUGE difference some days), which is more than enough.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 01:44:29 PM »
After 50+ seasons I carry the callers that have been most effective for me.

-Soft talker slate pot
- Grey/Black Slate pot
-Aluminum pot
-Gobbler Slate
-Scratch Box
-Wingbone or Jordan
- Longbox

Seems like a bunch of callers,but the are not heavy or bulky.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 01:59:20 PM »
Have you had situations where one type of yelper wasn't doing it, you switched to a different one (wingbone to cane for example) and that created an opportunity? Essentially switching calls within the same yelper category to find success?

Not really, but I have had times when NOTHING was happening with ANY call and I took whatever yelper I had around my neck at the time and started long pleading strings of kee-kee runs, getting louder with each series and started a gobble fest.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Call Variety
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 03:50:12 PM »
These days I carry a Glenda sack with
1 box usually a long box
1 either Trumpet or wingbone
Watkins coaxer
1 either Grey or green slate
1 call either Glass/ceramic/aluminum
Gobble shaker
4/5 strikers