OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Permethrin

Started by Prohunter3509, January 16, 2022, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Mix up your own (1 oz Perm + 15 oz water), soak your stuff in it, lay your clothes out flat on a sheet of plastic in a well ventilated area and flip them occasionally to dry both sides. By laying your clothes out flat, it prevents the solution from running down to the lowest part that's hanging and pulling it from other areas. Once the solution has dried, you can then hang the clothes up and let them air out, if desired. I usually do mine about 2 weeks before season opens.

Not 1 tick on me in 11 years.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Mossberg90MN

https://youtu.be/bt2pf1_pVNU

This the video I use for making my mix. Pretty easy as other have mentioned.

I normally will make a mix and dunk my clothes in it. I will put the mix in a spray bottle to use for vest and other things.

I'll do this about 2-3 weeks before the season. Then once a week I will give my clothes a quick spray down.

We got ticks heavy in Minnesota, and Lyme is very prevalent here. My boss got Lyme camping, not trying to go down that route. Luckily I seem to average about 1-2 ticks on my clothes that I find but they are all pretty much dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THattaway

Quote from: bbcoach on January 17, 2022, 04:10:47 PM
Quote from: Lucky Goose on January 17, 2022, 02:27:08 PM
I agree with those here that mix their own, I do the same and you can save a pile of money.

But wait... you guys wash your turkey clothes?!  ha
I wash mine in Baking Soda, I won't take a chance on Ole 3 Toes smelling me and heading into the next county!  LOL!
Had plenty of turkeys bumped by deer winding me. Just part of the game though.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Bowguy

Quote from: THattaway on January 17, 2022, 03:48:14 PM
You fellas using gallons must be dog lovers. In my experience it's been the dog owners who have the most tick problems. Have walked through a stand of sericea with a dog owner friend and when we came out the other side he had 5 ticks crawling on his pants legs while I had none.

We spray sawyers around pants legs below waist and it's a darn rare occurrence to find a tick. A bottle of sawyers will last us several seasons. It's also good for spraying on the ground around a dove stool while hunting for fire ants. They'll about tote off a dead bloody dove here.

Havent had a tick on a dog in years and they're run sometimes every day of week, minimum a few times a week all year long. Using the concentrate.

Bowguy

Quote from: Lucky Goose on January 17, 2022, 03:16:53 PM

Only the guys carry those sachets , if you're carrying a purse ya gotta be presentable and be thick skinned. Only funnin so take no offense anyone please

I figured with those turkey purses flopping around their waist it just beat the ticks off.  ha.  yea, just teasin'

That permethrin also makes a good mound drench for fireants for those of us that have to deal with them.
[/quote]

We don't have fire ants but my buddy sprays beehives around his farm. I think he mighta hit some European hornet nests with them successfully as well. Don't quote me on the second one though but I believe that's what he used.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: Bowguy on January 17, 2022, 07:03:45 PM

my buddy sprays beehives around his farm.

I don't think I'd have told that.

Mbhyman88

Thanks for all the good info.  I just ordered a pint of Martins 10% Permethrin.  Should end up saving a pile of money vs the Sawyers.

TRG3

Quote from: lunghit on January 16, 2022, 08:52:56 PM
I use Martins 10% Permethrin and I mix 19 ounces of water to 1 ounce of permethrin. Works great and I'll watch the ticks fall off. Between turkey and deer season one bottle of Martins will last a few years. And I apply more than necessary.

It really is as simple as noted above. I place my hunting clothes on coat hangers before hanging them on tree branches and then spraying, taking them down in a few hours after they are dry. There's no odor after they dry. Every 10-14 days, I repeat the process and have not gotten a tick in years of turkey or squirrel hunting. A bottle of permethrin will last several years. Don't forget to also spray your fanny pack, turkey seat, decoy sack, game bag, or anything else that could be on the ground or carrying game.

Dtrkyman

You guys wash your camo during season?  Rarely wash my outerwear.

Sawyer's 2 or 3 times per spring.

TRG3

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 06, 2022, 08:29:38 PM

I wash my outer clothes after every use. The permethrin is not diminished but remains effective through washings up to a couple of weeks. That being said, I rotate three different sets of outer clothing, so I only wear one set once or twice during any one of the Southern Illinois five turkey seasons which average 5 to 9 days each. A different permit is required for each season with a maximum of three permits per person. I could probably get away with wearing a suit and tie since I hunt behind a 10' long camo screen which completely hides not only my clothing but hand and gun movements as well. Only my camo netted head appears above the camo screen as I relax in my turkey chair. I've even set up along an open fence row where I thought I stuck out like a sore thumb, but the incoming tom concentrated on my decoys and paid no attention to my camo netting.

Dtrkyman

I don't wash my camo through the whole season unless it gets really trashed some how.

Hunt from early April until the end of May in 4-8 states.

Base layers get washed often.  I do not treat base layers but do treat socks!

OJR

I too use the Sawyer's. It's just convenient. I usually rotate four sets of camo. I'll wash them as necessary. Usually spray them a week before the season and a couple times during. I spray hats, facemasks, base layers, coats, shirts, pants, socks, gloves, vest and boots.  I also will use a Thermocell when the time allows for it. I will also spray my hands and wipe my face and neck with Repel.

I hate bugs!!!

bwhana

@FullChoke nailed it and is what I came to by trial and error as well.  Dipping them in a 5 gallon bucket (wear gloves) and laying them out to dry is more effective than spraying and keeps the solution even throughout the garments.  UV breaks down permethrin, so you really need to dry it in the shade.  I never have to touch mine up during the entire season.  I pour any unused mix in a spray bottle to hit vests and other gear that are not dip friendly.

quavers59

I also use Sawyers. I wash the Camo after 10 days of hunting with Sport wash and then reapply the Sawyers outside on a chair when dry. Good for another 10 days

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: TRG3 on February 08, 2022, 10:37:33 AM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 06, 2022, 08:29:38 PM

I wash my outer clothes after every use. The permethrin is not diminished but remains effective through washings up to a couple of weeks. That being said, I rotate three different sets of outer clothing, so I only wear one set once or twice during any one of the Southern Illinois five turkey seasons which average 5 to 9 days each. A different permit is required for each season with a maximum of three permits per person. I could probably get away with wearing a suit and tie since I hunt behind a 10' long camo screen which completely hides not only my clothing but hand and gun movements as well. Only my camo netted head appears above the camo screen as I relax in my turkey chair. I've even set up along an open fence row where I thought I stuck out like a sore thumb, but the incoming tom concentrated on my decoys and paid no attention to my camo netting.

WRONG.  Permethrin absolutely WILL wash away after one wash.  It will also dilute to an ineffective strength if you get rain soaked enough.   Just because it dries, doesnt mean it is suddenly impervious to water as it is metabolized into water.  It will also lose effectiveness FAST if you leave your clothing in direct sunlight as it degrades in UV light. Know what youre talking about before typing?...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.