OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for 1st Trumpet.....Who?  (Read 12198 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Re: Looking for 1st Trumpet.....Who?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 09:10:32 AM »
Thanks, I am actually watching some right now. I have pinhotti on when hes talking with Prudhomme and I watched a few other quick videos last night with a Lester fellow. We are getting slammed with a massive snowstorm, 45-50 centimeters of snow hitting and theres about 15 cm already so I won't be going anywhere today. It is a great day to watch,shop and cook.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 09:28:41 AM »
Look on YouTube. There are several how to run a trumpet videos
Del crow, Ralph Permar,
 misfire ,Ted peters are good ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=momZ825uunU

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »
Would anybody happen to know if people make a sheath, or a case/holder for multiple calls when not in use? I think I would like something to hold these in, if there is something out specifically made for trumpet/wingbone etc.Thanks for all the info so far. I already have three gentleman I am going to buy a call from, here in the next few days.

I want to start off my collection with a bang, i'll start running one and when I feel competant and confident then I'll start running others.

There sure are some beatuiful calls being built, I am impressed with them.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 12:04:42 PM »
You can can contact this gentleman. 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 12:36:17 PM »
Would anybody happen to know if people make a sheath, or a case/holder for multiple calls when not in use? I think I would like something to hold these in, if there is something out specifically made for trumpet/wingbone etc.

If I'm toting more than one yelper for the day, the other goes in this in my vest pocket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-SIZE-for-1-5-Bell-Turkey-Hunting-Trumpet-Pouch-w-Protective-Plastic-Insert/265356758781

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 01:17:22 PM »
Thanks for the options,the link to ebay, shows he won't ship to Canada. I checked out the the other place and those cases look sturdy and well built.I will send him a message later in week once I know how many calls I have bought.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2022, 02:07:57 PM »
....I will send him a message later in week once I know how many calls I have bought.

They are sturdy for sure, and provide a good level of protection.

....I recommend getting One and only playing that particular call for a full year before you start adding calls to your arsenal. I learned this the hard way!!!!

As far 'knowing how many you buy,' suggest heeding Chris' advice above. However many you buy, learn on one, only one.

When you learn to control the air flow on demand, then move on to other styles of yelpers. Learning on just one will shorten your learning curve. I made the same mistake Chris did, until my mentor set me straight.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 02:54:13 PM »
I plan on learning on one call only,keep another in the collection, But I am buying three to start, I plan on using one for a gift and I want two to start with in my collection.

I have been speaking with a few different call makers, I am trying to decide on which calls I want. I am waiting to hear back from two gentleman right now, as I also am ordering a few pot calls and a boxcall as gifts.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 03:04:24 PM »
I have been collecting a few custom pot calls over the years and the odd box call, but mostly turkey guns have been my "itch" but I have really gotten to the place where I am almost done with that, except for certain ones now, so I need another "hobby" related to the Wild turkey in between hunting seasons, I wanted to get into trumpets last winter but I got busy with work and life,and dealing with health issues within my family.

I figure I'll just start and see how I enjoy it. It seems like It's a great hobby with tons of different types and builds from all over North America. I like that idea. So many friendly call makers I have spoke with so far building a solid call.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2022, 10:59:28 PM »
I decided to limit myself to one trumpet to start with,It makes more sense from every aspect, for a newbie trumpet user. I want to Thank the guys I spoke with and for all the info in this thread. We ended up with 48 cm of snow today and 10-15 on the way Wednesday.My snowblower was 1st star today, 3 times. I also had fresh Banana bread made for us, from my neighbour for cleaning their driveway and walkway out.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2022, 11:43:09 PM »
Your original plan of buying several up front is not a bad one, they all draw air a little different.

Sticking with only 1 call for the first year is good advise, but you could try each of the different trumpets or yelpers you have for a couple of days. then pick the one that seems the easiest for you to play and  only use that one for the first year.

Starting off with the one that matches your style of drawing air will make it easier and may get you on your way faster.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2022, 08:52:07 AM »
How would I know which calls, are easier to learn on? or is that on an individual  person to decide and figure out for themselves? I assume It comes down to the person. I'd like at least two to start with but don't want to make the learning curve more difficult than I have too.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2022, 09:22:40 AM »
How would I know which calls, are easier to learn on? or is that on an individual  person to decide and figure out for themselves? I assume It comes down to the person. I'd like at least two to start with but don't want to make the learning curve more difficult than I have too.

There are rules of thumb like a Billy Buice 6” with a number 4 and Ralph Permar, but trumpets overall are as individual as mouth calls. Ones I like you may prefer another. Good luck on your quest.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2022, 12:45:37 PM »

If you go back several pages in the trumpet section and look for threads like yours you will see a pattern of whats been recommended for starting out, they are whats worked for the majority of people.
You wouldn't go wrong with a trumpet from any of them. Some of them would have a long wait period.

The Buice trumpets have interchangeable mouthpieces that have different diameter holes thru them, which changes the pitch of the call and how it draws air, the 2 most popular are the #3 and #4 as Davis mentioned

Any trumpet from Ralph Permar would be a god choice, his entry level Jordan call will do any thing you will need to do in the turkey woods

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2022, 04:04:02 PM »
-Big Foot Zebrawood Maple Cocobolo Walnut

-Cherry Walnut Maple Paduk Ash

-Ash Walnut

-Cherry

These are 4 calls I am in the middle of buying, these have the bigger mouthpieces, there was 7 in total I was interested in from this certain builder but the other 3 had a tiny mouthpiece, so I'll start with these.

I'll probably end up with another half dozen from other builders in the next few months, I have had excellent advice from a handful of builders and I appreciate the info and help, I will be buying from you in the future.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:57:23 PM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »