OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: That’ll make ‘em gobble…  (Read 5704 times)

Offline RossAnderson

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: That’ll make ‘em gobble…
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 12:30:59 PM »
Jake brake of a logging truck goin down the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

Online tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 03:58:59 PM »
When I was a kid, I used to help an old farmer and did so basically full time in the summer. One summer we were working on some equipment in the middle of a hay field that was surrounded by woods. He started beating on a metal part with a sledge hammer and every time he hit it, a bird would gobble up on the ridge. Some of the most frequent and loudest gobbling I have ever heard.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline kytrkyhntr

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 01:20:06 AM »
I used to hunt across the road from an aluminum plant. When those presses would make that first big boom in the morning it woke a few gobblers up. Got more sparing as shift went on but you could always get lucky in afternoon. Craziest one I ever saw was when I was at the barn talking to 3 other guys about the morning hunt. One guys son finished a coke and sat the can down in bed of his dads truck. When he sat the can down the kid stomped on it to crush it. I kid you not on the ridge behind the barn 2 of them fired up (less than 200 yards away) the following morning the boys dad killed one of them on that ridge right behind the barn. Only time I’ve ever seen birds on that ridge and only longbeard ever known to roost up there
don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 09:06:10 AM »
The slamming gate of a dump truck from a maintenance crew emptying his load.   Every time the dump gate hit the bed making that boom boom boom sound a turkey would gobble. 

An odd one was the intercom system at a car lot.   Used cars line 2, used cars line 2......gobble, gobble, gobble.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »
The slamming gate of a dump truck from a maintenance crew emptying his load.   Every time the dump gate hit the bed making that boom boom boom sound a turkey would gobble. 

We actually have a group of gobblers we refer to as the "gate keepers".  There is one metal gate we have to go through that clangs whenever anybody opens and closes it.  Those gobblers roost in the same spot every night on a ridge above the gate and early morning or late evening when they are in the trees you can be sure that they will greet you with a chorus of gobbles when the gate clangs. 

Offline kloppy

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 10:42:03 AM »
Pack of coyotes howling had them fired up in Virginia a few weeks ago.

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2022, 12:29:11 PM »
 I was about 20 years old. A friend and I had a gobbler we were after, he loved to gobble on the roost. So, we knew where he was and slid into position early, right above him, 50-60 yards from him on the limb.

The fire whistle goes off, he starts gobbling, it's odark30! Fire whistle keeps going off, he nonstop gobbled. Then we hear an ambulance, the gobbling doesn't stop. The ambulance comes right by us as we are only 200 yards above an old secondary road. We could here the ambulance for a few minutes after he went by us. That turkey could obviously hear the ambulance longer.

I would guess it was a minimum of 20 minutes of nonstop, one after another gobbling. By one turkey.

We never did kill that turkey, and we hunted him several times that spring.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 12:47:31 PM »
Hunted a ridge outside a small town with a volunteer fire department. One quite morning that fire horn blew, and a dozen turkeys gobbled like crazy in every direction. When that horn shut down, those turkeys went quiet again.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2022, 01:08:47 PM »
At my family's property the Volunteer Fire Departments siren makes them gobble.
It also makes the trout bite.  The siren is amazing.

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2022, 08:01:52 PM »
I’ve heard gobble at every thing from a wood duck whistle to a base ball aluminum bat hitting a baseball .

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2022, 10:28:20 PM »
Thunder. Gobbled every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J.D. Shellnut

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 01:13:41 PM »
Took a cold one out of the ice chest. When ice fell in the empty spot where it was at he hammered right off the road. A lawn mower running over gravel. Trailer ramps rattling on a low boy that was hauling equipment to cut the woods I was hunting in.  :( :( :(
60% of the time it works every time!

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 03:16:10 AM »

We actually have a group of gobblers we refer to as the "gate keepers".  There is one metal gate we have to go through that clangs whenever anybody opens and closes it.  Those gobblers roost in the same spot every night on a ridge above the gate and early morning or late evening when they are in the trees you can be sure that they will greet you with a chorus of gobbles when the gate clangs.

Was thinking about this one as I read through them. Was hunting a plot that I knew had bird on it. Set up on one corner called nothing, another and nothing, another and nothing... neighbor was lay base rock for his driveway and came and dumped a load about the time I was maybe even walking back to my truck for an early lunch. Birds sounded off on the one hill I hadnt been to yet! Snuck up the hill and set up near the property line.... 100 yds on the other side they were.... after a good 30min of chit chat they all start running, flying and scattering past me. Coyote stopped 10 yards in front of me. I was walking to my truck with a dog and a bird after that.

Other one is a simple whistle! Just the puckered lip kind, not the high pitch finger in the mouth or plastic one. Opened the camper door this year and whistled for my dog. Bird gobbles 350 yds up on the knob above me. I couldnt believe it. Dog was at my feet so I whistled again. He gobbled again. Told the wife to watch the kids I was going hunting. We were literally leaving within the hour to go to town for something was around 9:30am. I came back 20 min later. Wife asked what I forgot and I showed her the bird. Thing came in on a rope since I was able to sneak within 80yds of it with the contours.

Air horn... carry them in my truck for work. Have touched them off a couple times to scare buddies. Birds like it too.

Almost forgot about this one... MY NAME... have it on video.... one of my buddies has a fair amount of turkeys and he always likes to hype me up for turkey season. I get this interesting? video of him hot tubing...looks about 25 out, he might even say that in the video. Frost white everywhere. He starts just saying my name in a girlish-high-pitch drawn out way..."cchhRRISSSTOPher... gobble gobble gobble....cchhRRISSSTOPher... gobble gobble gobble...." Everytime I show someone that video it starts with a what the heck are you making me watch until they here the gobbles!
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline vthokie7227

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 11:28:01 AM »
Early season in Virginia stops at noon. I had hunted all morning without hearing anything and decided to head back to the truck since it was a few minutes before noon. As I'm walking, church bells start ringing and one fires off. I'd heard the bells most of the morning. Guess this tom had himself a watch.

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 12:26:52 PM »
When I was a young boy my dad had taken me out with him. Set up close to a roost, I sneezed loudly and the Tom’s fired off lol. My dad got quite a kick out of that.
One of the greatest mornings I’ve had outdoors was a beautiful morning in the mountains. Every time the bull elk would bugle the Tom’s would Gobble.
That's the best of both worlds!!