OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: That’ll make ‘em gobble…  (Read 5650 times)

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
That’ll make ‘em gobble…
« on: January 16, 2022, 08:39:38 AM »
Snowing pretty heavy here at the house but my buddy sent me a text this morning said the snow plow come down the four lane and made a turkey gobble up on the ridge above his house. Got me thinking about that shirt the MeatEater people made that lists off all the things that have made turkeys gobble. Craziest one I’ve ever had was a V-22 Osprey come flying over the ridge and made one shock gobble. What’s the craziest thing you’ve heard one gobble to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
That’ll make ‘em gobble…
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 08:52:16 AM »
I duck hunt exclusively in flooded beaver swamps and they gobble to our shotguns firing a good bit.  I don’t think that’s uncommon though.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: That’ll make ‘em gobble…
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 08:58:20 AM »
Was hunting on a real windy day, sitting when a large branch broke and hit the ground. Gobbler sounded off behind me…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 09:08:20 AM »
Was hunting on a real windy day, sitting when a large branch broke and hit the ground. Gobbler sounded off behind me…..

Reminds me of the time I heard a tree pop a few times and then fall, he gobbled at it!

I guess hearing one gobble at wolves was a bit unique, just due to the limited distribution where wolves and turkeys coinhabit. (have heard them gobble at coyotes a lot though)

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 09:24:53 AM »
Heavy artillery firing…..

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 09:28:59 AM »
First bird I ever took gobbled when the farmer started his tractor

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 09:59:11 AM »
I was hunting South Carolina and set up on a roosted bird in a field edge. Had him going strong then he went quiet. I had hens moving in and didn’t know where he was because of the brush. A guy working on telephone lines dropped a tool that made a loud “ping” and he sounded off. He dropped that tool 3 times and I knew every time the bird was getting close when he gobbled to it. He wouldn’t answer my soft call like he had been earlier but thanks to that guy having slippery hands. That guy was working lines about 500 yards away and it was a quiet morning.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 10:11:05 AM »
I duck hunt exclusively in flooded beaver swamps and they gobble to our shotguns firing a good bit.  I don’t think that’s uncommon though.

That's why I look forward to water fowl season. Birds in my area don't seem to have issues gobbling in the fall but its almost guaranteed during water fowl season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 10:12:33 AM »
I was hunting South Carolina and set up on a roosted bird in a field edge. Had him going strong then he went quiet. I had hens moving in and didn’t know where he was because of the brush. A guy working on telephone lines dropped a tool that made a loud “ping” and he sounded off. He dropped that tool 3 times and I knew every time the bird was getting close when he gobbled to it. He wouldn’t answer my soft call like he had been earlier but thanks to that guy having slippery hands. That guy was working lines about 500 yards away and it was a quiet morning.

Find out what tool he dropped, I’ll put one in my vest…lol
“Solo hunter”

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 10:19:50 AM »
Dynamite being used to blowing a beaver dam couple of farms over caused one to gobble one morning, that was pretty neat...

Offline 5arraquiver

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 10:23:19 AM »
When I was a young boy my dad had taken me out with him. Set up close to a roost, I sneezed loudly and the Tom’s fired off lol. My dad got quite a kick out of that.
One of the greatest mornings I’ve had outdoors was a beautiful morning in the mountains. Every time the bull elk would bugle the Tom’s would Gobble.
Questions? Answer: Jesus

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 10:23:55 AM »

I guess hearing one gobble at wolves was a bit unique, just due to the limited distribution where wolves and turkeys coinhabit. (have heard them gobble at coyotes a lot though)

Have both wolves and turkeys in good numbers in a couple of areas I hunt. Never heard a gobble to a wolf howl however I have seen a wolf attack my dad's decoy on a logging road when I was hunting with him.

The release of air brakes from a lost 18 wheeler hauling a dozer. He pulled into the little parking lot of a wma where I just dropped my buddy off at 1st light. I could hear him coming a long ways off and so could the turkeys.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 10:34:40 AM »
Not sure the oddest, but my favorite is a donkey.

The donkey would bray and the turkey would gobble.

The turkey would gobble and the donkey would bray.

Went on all season that year and I would laugh about every time, especially when the bird would sound off early and the donkey would immediately talk back

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 10:46:20 AM »
My buddy's calling. That is proof that they will literally gobble at anything.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 11:38:20 AM »
52's firing off at the local air base 5 miles away.