OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Conditioning call and striker  (Read 1359 times)

Offline ClayR089

Conditioning call and striker
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:09:09 AM »
I’ve never put much thought in to my conditioning, but someone made a comment recently about making one pass in one direction with scotch Brite. Got me thinking. Is it that simple? Am I over conditioning? I’ll do a few back and forth, typically. Then how do y’all best condition your striker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
Re: Conditioning call and striker
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 10:14:14 AM »
On slate, Same as you.  Couple strokes.  On the striker tip, 120 grit sandpaper.  Typically a few more than the slate.  Keep it nice and rounded.   Glass, stone only.

I should add.  As thru the dust you leave.  Don't wipe it off

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 10:22:41 AM »
All you need to do is clean the area you have been playing the call , same on cleaning the striker tip, i NEVER use sandpaper on the tip of my strikers, just clean the end up with a few twist of it on a small piece of scotch brite , you could possibly ruin the tip of a striker by sandpapering the tip in my opinions, good strikers from good striker builders will play forever with just a few light pressure twists on a piece of scotch brite all your doing is cleaning the tip.

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 11:17:04 AM »
For strikers I use a very low grit sandpaper and put a little square in the palm of my hand and press striker into it and give it a twist or two

All surfaces if they get dirty or oily I will wipe down with rubbing alcohol and let dry before conditioning. On aluminum this is all I normally do

For slates and ceramic I like red scotch brite. Rub back in forth a few strokes in same direction and lightly blow off excess

For glass I use plaster sanding screen same as what I do on slate

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 10:58:16 PM »
For strikers I use a very low grit sandpaper and put a little square in the palm of my hand and press striker into it and give it a twist or two

All surfaces if they get dirty or oily I will wipe down with rubbing alcohol and let dry before conditioning. On aluminum this is all I normally do

For slates and ceramic I like red scotch brite. Rub back in forth a few strokes in same direction and lightly blow off excess

For glass I use plaster sanding screen same as what I do on slate

Pretty much spot on.

But I use red scotch Brit instead sandpaper for tip. Doing it in the palm is probably more important then material used.

I only scrub in one direction.

I use to use a stone for glass & Crystal but switched to drywall sanding screen. Gouges seem to deep for me, probably my technique.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Lucky Goose

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 09:44:02 AM »
Al Holford taught me that with aluminum you can get 4 pretty different tones by conditioning 4 different areas.  I've had turkey's show me they like it too.

I condition mine in quarters and have the back of the pot labeled so I don't forget what's where:

1. unconditioned
2. scotch brite
3. light sanding
4. piece of slate