turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Pot Call

Started by illmakeufamous, January 15, 2022, 08:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illmakeufamous

Please point me in the right direction. Turkey hunted 15 years ago and lost interest after high school. My oldest daughter went deer hunting with me in the fall and really wants to Turkey hunt this spring so I'm doing everything I can to try to be successful with her. I've never owned a pot call and to be honest the options are a little overwhelming. Im not looking for a call to break the bank but I've become a believer in buy once cry once and would buy a good quality used product over a new "cheap" product. With all that being said please give me a few options to look at in the way of a pot call. I'd rather pay a little more and have something a long time rather than cheap out and upgrade later. I think I want a glass call based on moisture resistance but feel free to try to change my mind. If this doesn't belong in this section let me know and I'll move it (first time post). Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Welcome back to Turkey hunting. Pot calls are fantastic calls to start with. You can get a real nice, effective pot call and striker for around $50.00. If you want to go a bit more between $50 and $75, your options are abundant. Your thought of glass surface is good, Slate is another great option. There are great call makers on here if you read threads in the Pot Call section. Make sure you get a matching striker with your call. The call makers on here will surely set you up. Hopefully they see your post, and can reach out with their information. You will see them in the Pot call threads if not. Best of luck with your search, post some pics of the big Tom you harvest this spring.....
"Solo hunter"

mastevt

There's alot of great pot calls out there that won't break the bank.  If your a fb user, there's a page I'm on called Turkey Addiction.   Alot of us call makers are on there.  Another one is Calls Unlimited.  Get on there and talk with the guys..  That said, don't rule out a Trough call for her.  They are some of the best sounding and easiest calls to play, and have a terrific Yalk to them.

One of mine.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

In no order here are some pot call builders to consider: Mark Cornelius - better known as Mac Calls, Larry Buster Halford - Buster's Custom Calls, Clay Townsend, Jimmy Schaffer, Mike Yingling, Chad Remenaric and Kenneth Mullins all of these mentioned build great sounding pot calls. You want a pot call builder that not only knows how to build a pot call but also knows how to tune a pot call for those awesome hen sounds. All of these i listed are on Facebook and they all have sound files of them playing call's with different surfaces so i would do your homework and listen to these builders and make a decision on what you like and the sound your looking for and contacting that builder for a pot call. My suggestion is definitely get you pot call first and start practicing ASAP...

illmakeufamous

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 15, 2022, 10:15:43 AM
In no order here are some pot call builders to consider: Mark Cornelius - better known as Mac Calls, Larry Buster Halford - Buster's Custom Calls, Clay Townsend, Jimmy Schaffer, Mike Yingling, Chad Remenaric and Kenneth Mullins all of these mentioned build great sounding pot calls. You want a pot call builder that not only knows how to build a pot call but also knows how to tune a pot call for those awesome hen sounds. All of these i listed are on Facebook and they all have sound files of them playing call's with different surfaces so i would do your homework and listen to these builders and make a decision on what you like and the sound your looking for and contacting that builder for a pot call. My suggestion is definitely get you pot call first and start practicing ASAP...
Interesting, Mr. Buster and I share the same last name. Not very many Halford's out there that I've run in to outside of family

Greg Massey

Quote from: illmakeufamous on January 15, 2022, 10:25:56 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 15, 2022, 10:15:43 AM
Interesting, Mr. Buster and I share the same last name. Not very many Halford's out there that I've run in to outside of family
  He's awesome pot call builder and he will go out of his way to help you and put a good pot call in your hands..

Greg Massey

ALWAYS remember this, just because some people build a pot call doesn't necessarily mean they know how to TUNE a pot call or striker with the call. So just keep this in mind as your looking for that first custom pot call. IMO ... I'm sure others on the forum will give you some other builder to consider also..

MJW

Give Mark Cornelius or Buster a call they will hook you up.

sbbow

Quote from: mastevt on January 15, 2022, 09:23:35 AM
There's alot of great pot calls out there that won't break the bank.  If your a fb user, there's a page I'm on called Turkey Addiction.   Alot of us call makers are on there.  Another one is Calls Unlimited.  Get on there and talk with the guys..  That said, don't rule out a Trough call for her.  They are some of the best sounding and easiest calls to play, and have a terrific Yalk to them.

One of mine.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
^^^
This guy right here makes a killer trough. I'm happy to say I own 2 of them a Cherry an a walnut. Str8 up killers !

ChesterCopperpot

I always suggest a good slate as a first time pot. I've never touched a slate from a good callmaker, or a even a production slate that wasn't full of turkey. Easy to play. Most any striker be fine. And it's an easy surface to condition for someone without a lot of experience. Condition with scotchbrite and call against the grain. That's it.

There was a similar question recently and another member, I think it was [mention]Greg Massey [/mention], suggested a ceramic. I think that's another great option as it requires little to no conditioning and is easy to play, but I will say if you go ceramic get it from one of the callmakers listed on this forum who make good ones (Buster Halford, Chris Brumfiel, Travis Wyatt, etc.). Whereas I don't ever remember playing a really bad slate, I've played some really bad ceramics.

3bailey3

Get you a red slate from Buster and call up Bill Lyman and get anything he will make you and get a few of his strikers and you will be set!

Tom007

I would throw in Brad Roberts. He makes killer pots for sure....
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

I've got a Buster Halford slate over slate in a blue mahoe pot I'd sell. PM me if you'd be interested