OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hairbrained Idea (But it might work)  (Read 864 times)

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
Hairbrained Idea (But it might work)
« on: January 15, 2022, 07:31:06 AM »
If you've ever listened to one of my podcasts,  you'll know that I have this recording ring that consists of a Digital Audio Recorder  attached to an umbrella mic.  It's a homebrew thing. I got the plans from off the web.  Here is what it looks like:

It's built on a paint roller handle, and I have a short paint stick, and I shove that into the ground.  I try and stay well back from the turkeys.  This is mostly done in the pre-season, and I want to just sneak in and record them in their natural environment.  However, that is not always the case.  I  Several times over the last few years, I've had close encounters with gobblers, and they seem to have romantic interests in the microphone.  Here is one example:

The Mistaken Gobbler

and here is an even better example.  The gob came right up to the mic and I was able to catch his spit and drum.  This all took place just behind my head, and the gobbler was less than 10 feet away.

Yute Hunt 2020

Okay, so much for the set-up.  While was out in the blind last year, I had an idea:  If those birds get turned on by a camo umbrella hat turned sideways on a paint stick,  what would they do with one that is a bit more visible and lively.

I don't know if your fashion tastes go this way, but some folks (especially in the U.K.)  think this is a cool look:

I found this one on Amazon for $4: 

. . ., and my plan is to put a stick in the ground, maybe 3 -4 foot, and then hang the hat by the headband.  It will move around in the wind, and my guess is that I'll be able to fool a gobbler.  This should add to the pre-season merriment.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Hairbrained Idea (But it might work)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 07:54:10 AM »
Great idea, Shaman!  I'm sure some folks around here will be contacting you about your set-up.  Probably the same ones that have one of those silent whistle thingies and the screeching hen call.  Not me, of course.  I don't need any help killin' gobblers.  ...Now where did you say you got that umbrella again?...   ;D

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 09:06:20 AM »
I dunno. I think with all those rainbow colors your gonna find out if you have some of those.... umm different gobblers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 11:40:17 AM »
Hire Guess Who for a pro staffer and they will sell like hotcakes. ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 01:16:43 PM »
I dunno. I think with all those rainbow colors your gonna find out if you have some of those.... umm different gobblers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

One sure way to attract a bearded hen…………. :z-flirtysmile3:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr