OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Special Fiddlebox  (Read 2623 times)

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Special Fiddlebox
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 11:14:23 AM »
I would say most experienced box call builders who are not shy about experimenting can get lid A work with Body B, but Marlin has proven over the years to be very adapable and keen on making different combinations work and work well.  No doubt this call is one of them.  He also, for whatever reason has been partial to using fruit wood species for bodies, Apple, Cherry, Plum and the like.  It's a challenge, but he pulled it off.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »
Awesome story, awesome callmaker, and some flat gorgeous wood. That’s a treasure for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 11:31:05 AM »
I would say most experienced box call builders who are not shy about experimenting can get lid A work with Body B, but Marlin has proven over the years to be very adapable and keen on making different combinations work and work well.  No doubt this call is one of them.  He also, for whatever reason has been partial to using fruit wood species for bodies, Apple, Cherry, Plum and the like.  It's a challenge, but he pulled it off.

He told me he tried several different lid woods on it (macassar, bloodwood, ipe, etc.) that were ok/good, but the ironwood was what really hit/stood out with this particular apple.  Made me nervous at first because he rattled of the different lids he tried, and didn't seem too keen on sticking with any of them.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 08:01:11 PM »
I thought they all were special but that one sounds awesome! Good luck with it.

Online Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 07:31:10 PM »
Your story and the history make a caller that more special....

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 04:43:21 PM »
Wow, priceless
“Solo hunter”