OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Barrel Removal with Red Dot sights  (Read 924 times)

Offline Gentry

Barrel Removal with Red Dot sights
« on: January 12, 2022, 01:44:55 PM »
Has anyone every had a problem with sights being off after reassembling the the barrel? I bought a case for flying and the barrel has to removed to fit. I don’t think it would be a problem, just looking for some opinions on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hoythunter

Re: Barrel Removal with Red Dot sights
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 03:49:07 PM »
Never been a problem for me. I do however have a mark on my barrel nut and one on my forestock and always tighten the barrel nut until those marks line up so the barrel is always put back on under the same tension. Even that may not be nessary I'm just detail oriented.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 03:57:18 PM »
I do not see how that could even effect the sights.  The sights are aligned with the POI and as long as the red dot isn't removed and stays put, I do not see how taking off the barrel would affect anything

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 04:00:45 PM »
I'm told it can, but I doubt it moves much.  You remove the barrel and reinstall it, I suppose it could change impact a small amount.
To be safe, after my annual sighting in, I don't remove the barrel again until I do a good cleaning after season.  I will run a bore snake through and may wipe down the inside of the receiver, but that's it. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 04:37:51 PM »
I'm told it can, but I doubt it moves much.  You remove the barrel and reinstall it, I suppose it could change impact a small amount.
To be safe, after my annual sighting in, I don't remove the barrel again until I do a good cleaning after season.  I will run a bore snake through and may wipe down the inside of the receiver, but that's it.

X2, my exact recipe also…..works great……
“Solo hunter”

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 04:44:39 PM »
My 870's have never had an issue with removing the barrels and reinstalling them.   I do shoot one shot each spring to check the zero but have seldom had to adjust the red dot.   And I use "cheap" red dots. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 08:37:54 PM »
Never been a problem for me. I do however have a mark on my barrel nut and one on my forestock and always tighten the barrel nut until those marks line up so the barrel is always put back on under the same tension. Even that may not be nessary I'm just detail oriented.
Correct answer sir!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 08:40:03 PM »

Yep, same here, a little black Sharpie line on the barrel nut and tube.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Uncle Tom

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »
Take the barrel of muzzleloader to clean and does not shift POI. Can not see how removing the barrel on anything that has a sight or a scope if it is hitting where you want....your eye, your sight, and said target is what is lining up when you pull the trigger. I have shot mine after taking barrels off and have never seen any shift in POI on anything.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 04:33:37 PM »
The only thing that holds the barrel in the receiver on your 870 is the magazine cap. As has been stated, the torque on that cap can change the point of impact. I recommend that a cap be tightened by hand as tight as possible and then, using some padded pliers, tighten it 2-3 more clicks. Then mark the cap and barrel band in some way, red nail polish works well, so that you can look at it and know that everything is in the same place.

Once a gun is sighted-in, if it must be cleaned, I recommend cleaning from the muzzle end and not removing the barrel. If you're concerned about "gunk" entering the action, just put a piece of paper over the open bolt and angled outward to deflect debris outward. If you'll use a Boresnake from the chamber, you won't have to worry about debris.

To answer the other part of your question about how much impact shift, it's possible to move the POI several inches, depending upon how tight the cap was when you sighted it in and how tight it is when you reinstall the barrel. It's important for that cap to be tight and even more important that it be the same all the time. A barrel that's loose can cause a scattered pattern and can be a real source of aggravation when trying to pattern an 870.

Thanks,
Clark

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk